Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: True Stereoscopic!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I know it's been discussed before. The conclusion was that it was possible to do. Having 2 render points switching back and forth at 120Hz would do it. The thing is, 120Hz monitors are becoming more and more popular, and I plan on getting a 120Hz 52 inch LCD within the next year. I think it would be the ultimate gaming experience when the next Zelda comes out, to have it in true 3d and HD! Also, couldn't you do this with just a regular 60Hz monitor? 30 fps looks better than 60 anyway. Is there any probable/possible way to put games in 30fps and stereoscopic with Dolphin?
Here is a screenshot (in colorcode and normal) of what Zelda could be like in 3d:
[Image: colorcode.jpg]
[Image: normal.jpg]

not the best stereoscopic images, but I tried Tongue

(I don't have the regular red/cyan glasses, only colorcode, so I hope they both work!)
to bad the wii gpu sucks so much. =( Zelda games would look much more impressive on other consoles, but at least the wii is more fun imo.
Well, I opened the thread, saw the pics, immediately went to my drawer and took out my colorcode glasses, put them on and looked at the pics.

While the convergence and separation aren't perfect in your pics (and they don't exactly compare to the pics at www.colorcode3d.com) the pop-out is definitely noticeable and would be really cool while playing Zelda at least I'd say.
under post-processing shader there is a stereoscopic option.
The postprocessing shader is just silly and should be deleted. It does not produce a stereoscopic effect.

The main issue if we want real stereo in Dolphin is that the scene has to be rendered twice. While this is easy if you are in control of the game engine, Dolphin would have to buffer up all the graphics commands of a frame, and then render it once again. While this is possible, it's not easy.

In conclusion it would be very cool but probably won't happen anytime soon.
I don't have such a value in the description of my TFT-Monitor...
Can it handle the 120Hz anyway ?
Most TFT's can't do 120hz. It's really only the top end ones that can produce that kind of output. Rendering stereoscopically on less than an optimal refresh rate will give you headaches and blurriness. Plus to get the effect you'd really need to invest in a pair of proper 3d glasses like Nvidia's.

Ector is it possible to do the 3d rendering through the GPU using Nvidia's technology?
NVidia's drivers can do some hackery to get games working, however I believe that it's hardcoded in the driver for each supported game. Nvidia would have to hardcode something for Dolphin unless they release some sort of public SDK. Besides, nearly no-one has this kind of hardware so I think doing something for colored 3d glasses would reach a bigger audience Smile
(07-14-2009, 07:14 PM)ector Wrote: [ -> ]NVidia's drivers can do some hackery to get games working, however I believe that it's hardcoded in the driver for each supported game. Nvidia would have to hardcode something for Dolphin unless they release some sort of public SDK. Besides, nearly no-one has this kind of hardware so I think doing something for colored 3d glasses would reach a bigger audience Smile

I was thinking, since the only thing left to do after setting the two render points would to be applying the proper color (shader) to each angle, instead of having just 1 type of 3d, why not just have a drop down menu with different supports for 3d glasses? It's just as simple as applying a shader, right? That way, since so many people have different 3d glasses, everyone can use that feature.
[Image: Hint%20Salesman%20-%20Sign.gif] http://www.iz3d.com/t-dcdriver.aspx

Works with any application using DirectX (owning the monitor is not required), but not OpenGL (there is an option to use the driver with OpenGL but you can't set it to red/cyan etc... I guess you need the monitor to use OpenGL).

Works perfectly in applications like Project64, but not in Dolphin without the DirectX driver.
Pages: 1 2 3 4