Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Hyrule Field Minimap
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So, was discovered that the Hyrule Field slowdown problem is due to the minimap, my question is, is there a way to enable/disable minimaps, I guess if it's really the problem then it should fix the huge fps problem, after transform into wolf and go for Hyrule Field, the FPS is about 19-20 that I consider unplayable

I am using a Phenon x4 955 3.8GHZ I tryied 4ghz but the fps didn't increased and GPU gtx580LE
That would not fix the slowdown.
(11-21-2012, 02:42 AM)Zee530 Wrote: [ -> ]That would not fix the slowdown.
What processor could I get full speed on Hyrule Field?
Problem with hyrule field was fixed like years ago...on most powerful cpu's it was like 7-8 fps.
I have i5 2400 and geforce 460 gtx and I get fullspeed ( 30 fps ) in the hyrule field near the end of the game ( when its supposed to be the slowest )
(11-21-2012, 03:13 AM)rpglord Wrote: [ -> ]Problem with hyrule field was fixed like years ago...on most powerful cpu's it was like 7-8 fps.
I have i5 2400 and geforce 460 gtx and I get fullspeed ( 30 fps ) in the hyrule field near the end of the game ( when its supposed to be the slowest )
So I guess the dolphin for linux has poor performance compared to dolphin for windows and also your processor has sse 4.* which speed up a little
The GPU isn t the problem no matter what internal resolution AA AFF I set up, this don't decrease the FPS performance
Then it's not an Opengl problem, that is more CPU issue
Quote:So I guess the dolphin for linux has poor performance compared to dolphin for windows

No it doesn't.

Quote:and also your processor has sse 4.* which speed up a little

No it doesn't. Dolphin gains no benefit from SSE4 support.

Quote:Then it's not an Opengl problem, that is more CPU issue

It's a stalling issue on the GPU side:
neobrain Wrote:The slowdown in Hyrule Field arises from the game changing the BPMEM_TEV_COLOR_ENV register a lot when drawing the minimap. Whenever it's changing that register, we need to flush the GPU's pipeline (i.e. render all vertices that have been queued up to that point). Flushing the GPU's pipeline once when lots of vertices have been queued is a LOT faster than flushing it multiple time when only few vertices have been queued each time. In Hyrule Field, the latter case applies, which is the reason why it's running that slow.

There really is no possible way to workaround this*. GPUs can render a batch of vertices only with the same configuration, that's just a fact. You can't just randomly tell the GPU to do stuff differently after it has rendered half of the vertices
(11-21-2012, 06:04 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:So I guess the dolphin for linux has poor performance compared to dolphin for windows

No it doesn't.

Quote:and also your processor has sse 4.* which speed up a little

No it doesn't. Dolphin gains no benefit from SSE4 support.

Quote:Then it's not an Opengl problem, that is more CPU issue

It's a stalling issue on the GPU side:
neobrain Wrote:The slowdown in Hyrule Field arises from the game changing the BPMEM_TEV_COLOR_ENV register a lot when drawing the minimap. Whenever it's changing that register, we need to flush the GPU's pipeline (i.e. render all vertices that have been queued up to that point). Flushing the GPU's pipeline once when lots of vertices have been queued is a LOT faster than flushing it multiple time when only few vertices have been queued each time. In Hyrule Field, the latter case applies, which is the reason why it's running that slow.

There really is no possible way to workaround this*. GPUs can render a batch of vertices only with the same configuration, that's just a fact. You can't just randomly tell the GPU to do stuff differently after it has rendered half of the vertices
so why not disable the minimap to prevent BPMEM_TEV_COLOR_ENV register high usage?
Frankly said, because we don't care for speed hacks like that. From a theoretical perspective it very much would be possible, though.
A fast CPU, actually a fast everything (GPU, CPU and DDR3 Memory) is really what is needed without resorting to hacks. On my system which is overclocked to 4.2 Ghz I get full speed with HLE audio. Even with LLE & LLE on Thread + EFB -> Ram, 2X IR + 16X AF I get around 20 - 25 FPS. Otherwise enable the ZTP speed hack in the game properties, that is all that you can do short of buying a better system.
(11-21-2012, 06:17 AM)neobrain Wrote: [ -> ]Frankly said, because we don't care for speed hacks like that. From a theoretical perspective it very much would be possible, though.
please make that hack! Tongue
Pages: 1 2