Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Xeon performance
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I just got a Dell Poweredge T110 server. It has a Xeon X3440 @ 2.53GHz in it. Shouldn't it run Dolphin faster than my Core2Duo E8400@3.00GHz?
I was at least expecting similar performance, but it seems a little slower. Does hyperthreading matter? Should it be off?
No, HT doesn't influcene the performance in Dolphin.
Thanks, good to know about the hyperthreading. I'm still hoping that I've screwed something else up in the setup, and I'm not getting full speed out of this thing. It might just not be very good for Dolphin. I'm sure someone here will tell me.
That Xeon is a Quad Core + HT . Dolphin uses 2 cores + 1 (if "DSP LLE on thread" is enabled)
When you play Dolphin , your Quad Core CPU has 2 free cores for background processing -> Speed up
But E8400 is still faster because its clock rate is higher (3.0 vs 2.5GHz)
Thanks. I was hoping the newer CPU architecture would make more of a difference than the clock speed. I guess four player Mario Kart will have to wait.
Oops , I though it had the same CPU architecture as Core 2 Quad , silly me
Lynnfield (Core i series 1st gen) is faster than Wolfdale (Core 2 duo) clock for clock
Quote:I guess four player Mario Kart will have to wait.
Require heavily overclocked Sandy Bridge (Core i series 2nd gen) , Ivy Bridge (3rd gen) . For example : i5 2500k @ 4.5GHz or i5 3570k @ 4.2GHz
No OC = NO Full Speed
Well, the x3440 has a passmark score a little more than twice that of the e8400. Those tests are done using all cores, so not too helpful for Dolphin, but I was hoping for a little boost. ( I'd include the links, but the button is greyed out in this new site. ) The X3440 is not too much slower than the E8400 so I'm beginning to doubt that I installed something wrong. I moved my GTX 550 Ti to the new system to test it, so that's not a variable.

I know I won't get full speed with four players for quite some time. I'd be happy with decent speed two player.
Passmark is crap . For Dolphin , you should take a look at single threaded benchmark
Just overclock that Xeon to 3.0-3.5GHz , you'll definitely get huge speed up
That's definitely a better test for Dolphin, but there aren't too many results on the site, especially for the X3440. I wish I could overclock my X3440, but I doubt the Dell motherboard will let me. I might try to overclock my E8400 now that I have have a new system to use.
I see you did not fill out your profile info.

Please list the complete specs of both systems.

Your Xeon should be a bit faster than the e8400 but the perform increase should be small to moderate.
Pages: 1 2 3