Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Getting Some New Hardware
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Dougtron

I'm getting some new hardware for Christmas and just wanted to check to see if I'll be able to run demanding games like Super Mario Galaxy 2 at fullspeed. Here is my current setup:

CPU: Intel Core i5-655K Clarkdale 3.2Ghz (Overclocked to 3.84Ghz)
GPU: Integrated
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2x 2G

I plan on upgrading my ram G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) and getting either the XFX Core Edition FX-785A-ZNFC Radeon HD 7850 1GB or the XFX HD-687A-ZHFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB. With those upgrades how's my system looking. Also would running off of a SSD HDD make any notable improvements in speed?
Quote:I plan on upgrading my ram G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB
Waste money , zero gain for Dolphin and PC games
Quote:getting either the XFX Core Edition FX-785A-ZNFC Radeon HD 7850 1GB or the XFX HD-687A-ZHFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB
Stick with Directx 9 backend if you buy AMD 7000 series
http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-rad...11-backend
Or just buy 6870 (4x Internal Res , no AA or 2x MSAA , 16x AF)
Huge improvement in both speed and graphic over Integrated GPU
Quote:Also would running off of a SSD HDD make any notable improvements in speed?
Windows boot faster , apps start faster . Zero gain for Dolphin
(11-20-2012, 12:26 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Also would running off of a SSD HDD make any notable improvements in speed?
Windows boot faster , apps start faster . Zero gain for Dolphin
Faster loading screens XD, as if they weren't fast enough already XD

Dougtron

Is using DirectX9 with the 7850 difficult/a problem for anything else? I've never use anything besides integrated graphics before. I was originally going to get the 6870 but then heard some stuff about fan problems and then I saw that the 7850 is about the same price and is supposedly better. I'm not going to be doing to much PC gaming with besides emulation. I'd like to get whichever card will last me longer because I'm not really trying to upgrade my card again anytime soon after this, so which should I go with? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Quote:Faster loading screens XD, as if they weren't fast enough already XD

Assuming that you manually enable "Speed Up Disk Access" in the game .ini

Quote:Is using DirectX9 with the 7850 difficult/a problem for anything else? I've never use anything besides integrated graphics before. I was originally going to get the 6870 but then heard some stuff about fan problems and then I saw that the 7850 is about the same price and is supposedly better. I'm not going to be doing to much PC gaming with besides emulation. I'd like to get whichever card will last me longer because I'm not really trying to upgrade my card again anytime soon after this, so which should I go with? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Get the 7850.
(11-20-2012, 04:11 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Faster loading screens XD, as if they weren't fast enough already XD

Assuming that you manually enable "Speed Up Disk Access" in the game .ini
Exactly
Quote:I was originally going to get the 6870 but then heard some stuff about fan problems
There are no fan problems at all with the 6870. Just make sure you purchase one from a reputable brand. I have an XFX one, which I never had any issues with.
If you're going to solely use the card for emulation, and want to use the DirectX11 back-end, get the 6870. This is enough for x4 Internal Resolution and some AA (SSAA, MSAA, CSAA, etc) depending on the game.

Otherwise get the 7850.
Spoiler:
(11-21-2012, 01:36 AM)Garteal Wrote: [ -> ]There are no fan problems at all with the 6870

I second this

Dougtron

Is there going to a big difference between using the 6870 with DX11 vs 7750 & DX9? I do plan on doing some PC gaming, but mostly emulation. Is it difficult to use DX9 with the 7750?
Quote:Is there going to a big difference between using the 6870 with DX11 vs 7750 & DX9? I do plan on doing some PC gaming, but mostly emulation. Is it difficult to use DX9 with the 7750?

1. Maybe.
2. No.