Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: R 3.0.xxx doesn't seem to be work right [report]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi

I just want to point few bugs and issues about the R3.0 ver , hope it to be helpful for devolpers Smile
This is not asking for support or blaming devs , just trying to help.

It's been maybe a year ? Since the R3.0 and non of that ver worked right with me . So I kept using the R7719 which it seems to be the most stable ver , altho it crash randomly , but rare . Anyway here the feedback.
PC Spec:
i5 2500k 3.3 ( turbo on )
GTX 560 880mhz 1024mb
12GB RAM
Latest drivers for both video and audio.

What I note on both R3 and R7719 , running on same settings.
1- The cpu usage of V3 is about 35~60% ,15-20% more over the R7791 ( 24~38% )
2- GPU usage almost same , but for VRAM R3 is less 254mb , 321mb for R7719.
3- Graphics for R3 on some wii games has glitches, both DX9 DX11.
4- R3 would make games stutter if using Direct sound , fixed by switching to XAudio2 . R7719 works fine with Dsound.
5- Games sometimes would run slow on R3 even though , the cpu and gpu usage were not near limit (Cpu 54%, GPU 65% 445/1024 vram ) on wii games. R7719 runs them fine.
5a- Could be related to 5 , few fps drops once in while on R3 ( not slowdown just jumping to 21fps .. back 30 ) while the other runs it smooth.

I thought it would be more stable since it using more cpu xD I have been updating V3.0 and testing it every month or two , but same issues still exist.
I apologize if this were made in wrong section , or shall not be made at all in forums , I'm just trying to help in devolping this project.

Best lucks , thanks.
Actually, Dolphin 3.0 is a very fast and stable Dolphin revision. Anyway, did you try the latest git versions of Dolphin? (3.0-8XX)
Yes , I tried 3.0.804 before posting this thread , I don't know , I get smoother game playing with r7719. If you could try them , maybe you will notice it .
V 3.0.804 didn't crash with me at all , which I liked , unlike r7719 specialy after closing, making you lose settings you have changed , but not as good for games .
Games tested with :
GC : RE 1 remake , RE 0
Wii , RE Chornicles , Onechanbara.
7 64 bit . No closing crash with XP.
Yeah, old Dolphin revs are usually faster than the newer ones. Why? Well, the old revisions are not as accurate and stable as newer ones.

That's why you don't encounter crashes in newer Dolphin revisions like 3.0-8XX.
Thanks for pointing it out , I have figured it as well , hopefuly devolpers will note those bugs and fix them with their next releases.
But still unexplainable bugs like the slow down and fps sudden drop , even with lowest settings , are weird , I would keep the newer ver for sure if it were for those .
If I can help at anyway , I would happily do.
Thanks again for checking up and following the thread DefenderX.
Being slower is not a bug, it's the result of better emulation.
Yeah, that's what I said.

DefenderX Wrote:Yeah, old Dolphin revs are usually faster than the newer ones. Why? Well, the old revisions are not as accurate and stable as newer ones.
(11-12-2012, 08:55 AM)DefenderX Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, old Dolphin revs are usually faster than the newer ones. Why? Well, the old revisions are not as accurate and stable as newer ones.

That's why you don't encounter crashes in newer Dolphin revisions like 3.0-8XX.

Hmm I guess you have been lucky my friend. This weekend when I tested my games I got more crashes with 3.0-8xx then I ever had before especially with Wii games. GameCube games seems OK though.
Various GFX FIFO Errors/Warnings and Backpatch crashes, not a pleasant sight for one that have been spoiled with minimal crashes on 3.0

EDIT: A big AND here, Skyward Sword + Silent Realm crashes = no need to say more.