Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: new build. i5 or i7
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Hi

Its my first post so sorry if this has been answered before, i searched but couldnt see anything

Im in the process of building a bartop arcade, something ive wanted to do for years. I want to be able to emulate gamecube and wii games as well as ps2 and dreamcast.

Ive seen a few motherboard bundles. one ive seen is an i7 3770 with an h61 board and 8gb ram. This can run at 3.9ghz when in turbo mode. Ive also seen an i5 2500k bundle with the same ram which when over clocked can do well over 4ghz.

However, Ive never over clocked before so im a little wary and also as the pc will be in a tight area inside the bartop arcade im not sure if the large cooler required for the over clocked i5 will fit so ive been leaning towards the i7 3770.

My question is will the i7 3770, boosted to 3.9ghz and coupled with a gtx 650 gfx card be able to run 95% of the gamecube and wii games at 100% speed. Ive read on here that a few a very hard to emulate correctly but i was mainly thinking of the mario ones specifically SMG1 and SMG2.

Also, slightly off topic but some games require you to shake the wii remote such as Mario kart wii when in the air. If you arent using a wii remote with the dolphin emulator is there a key or something that can be programmed to emulate the shake?

thanks in advance
If you don't need HyperThreading, go for the i5-2500k. But the i7-3770 is based on the Ivy Bridge architecture and has more power and is more energy efficient.

Well, i personally would buy the i7-3770, BUT ONLY with a Z77 MoBo from Asrock with "No-K Overclock" function.
Thanks for the quick reply.

So will the i7 3770 be ok to run smb and smb2 as long as i get the z77 mobo? Will i be ok with the stock cooler?
Also, what wattage psu do you think i'll need to run this and the gtx 650?

Shep
I'd go with the i5 3570k and OC if I were you and didn't need HT, your going to need all the power you can get with SMG (1/2)
Go for 3570k
If you have the choice between i7-3770 and i5-3570k, go for the i5-3570k Big Grin
As mentioned earlier, you either need a xxxxK CPU on any z77 board, or a xxxx CPU on a z77 board from Asrock with the non-K overclock feature. Also, you'll need to buy a good CPU cooler and reasonable TIM paste, otherwise it will overheat, which will reduce its lifespan.
As CPU cooler, you should choose the Thermalright HR-02 Macho or a CPU cooler from Noctua Wink
As Thermal Compound you should buy the Arctic Cooling MX-4
Heck even without all that you could still OC a little, but not enough for SMG XD
Yo, if he buys the i7-3770. Tongue
Pages: 1 2 3 4