Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Question(s) about AA and AF
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Are AA and AF handled on the CPU or the GPU? It 'feels' as if they are currently processed on the CPU. Would this be correct?
GPU.
But it gives some slowdowns to CPU as well :S
It's done on the GPU, but if it adversely affects how fast your graphics card can render the game, it will slow down the CPU operation as well. If your GPU is really fast, it might not make a difference.
The way i had understood it was that one core is responsible for translating the graphics and the other is used for the core is that correct?
i think so but not sure lol
Before, AA didn't reduce my FPS at all. But in recent revisions, it reduces it by about 15, even if you just set it to 2x. I assume it's some error.
(07-11-2009, 10:42 PM)nosound97 Wrote: [ -> ]But it gives some slowdowns to CPU as well :S

(07-12-2009, 02:51 AM)KHRZ Wrote: [ -> ]Before, AA didn't reduce my FPS at all. But in recent revisions, it reduces it by about 15, even if you just set it to 2x. I assume it's some error.

This is exactly why I started this topic. I read what Ector said, which is how I understood it worked, but it does not explain why the major slow down while they are enabled. For example;

When games are used as CPU benchmarks, the resolution is reduced to the lowest possible in order to reduce the GPU being a factor. Similarly, when one has a game that is CPU limited, they can then turn up the resolution and enable AA/AF as a means of squeezing the last bit of 'bang for the buck' that they can from his/her system.

Dolphin, on the other hand, does not follow these examples. Turning up the internal resolution is a huge performance killer. Enabling AA and AF will also claw at your over all frame rates when logically it shouldn't since it is being offloaded onto the GPU. Yet monitoring GPU activity and temperatures shows little difference between no and full on eye candy.