Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Kernel Times
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Task Manager > Show Kernel Times

So, what the frig are they? I've noticed, especially on demanding games, I can have alot of kernel time user along side with Dolphin. Is that taking CPU power away from Dolphin? Is it created by Dolphin?

See, I have a really weird issue with my computer. After I come back from standby, Dolphin's performance takes a big hit, as much as 20fps in mario galaxy, and guess what's taking up that? Kernel Times. That red stuff taking up as much as half a core. It's one of the quirks of my 3570K that I never quite figured out. That 50% of a core will be constantly in use even when just sitting idle. Any idea what's going on with that?

Here's some shots of my task manager to show what's it's doing. Note that, during idle, the system idle process shows 99% as normal, despite a half core being used up.

Playing Dolphin
Idle

EDIT: Resource Manager shows what's taking up the CPU resources. "System Interrupts". How the hell do I fix that...

Idle - System Interrupts

EDIT 2: I'm on a roll. It only occurs after coming back from standby, and when sound is playing. It's my sound card apparently. It was going constantly even though I didn't have sound going, because my line-in listen was enabled, and it considered that constantly running sound. So I finally have a way to chase this down. Bizzare how talking about things helps you fix them lol.

EDIT 3: My Logitech G35s don't do it. They are USB headphones, so they have their own audio system, sorta like a different sound card, if you will. So yea, it's my sound card. Crap. How do I fix that...
(11-03-2012, 01:00 PM)MaJoR Wrote: [ -> ]EDIT 2: I'm on a roll. It only occurs after coming back from standby, and when sound is playing. It's my sound card apparently. It was going constantly even though I didn't have sound going, because my line-in listen was enabled, and it considered that constantly running sound. So I finally have a way to chase this down. Bizzare how talking about thinks helps you fix them lol.

It's called Rubber Ducking :p

But yeah, that's an interesting situation and it's awesome how you documented it. I've never had the issue but if I do I'll know what to do now Big Grin
The red line, to my understanding, is how much of the CPU's resources is being spent by the Windows kernel or something like that. eHow is hardly authoritative, but here it is anyway:

Quote:Kernel CPU

The Task Manager displays red bars to show CPU used by kernel, or Windows, processes. In this case, red does not mean "danger," or "overload," but simply indicates Windows is using the computer, managing its resources behind the scenes. It works harder if you copy large files, receive file downloads, or open a database. A typical desktop user should rarely see red CPU bars in double digits; if Windows consistently consumes more than 50 percent of your CPU time, this clearly indicates a problem. For web and database servers, computers that cater to many network users, this is normal.

Update any drivers (or you may find you need to revert them) for your soundcard. More blunt solutions include not going into standby mode, getting a new soundcard, or trying a different OS.
Quote:More blunt solutions include not going into standby mode

That's what I had been doing, actually. I got this system on the 3570K launch day, after all, which was in May. So, had it a while now. Reinstalling drivers hasn't helped, I'm trying other drivers and stuff, but it's going slow (dialup). I have to GET the other drivers, which drags things out.
Quote:It's called Rubber Ducking

Oh wow, I didn't know we had a term for that. I do it all the time except I don't have any objects to talk to other than myself.

Something is obviously throwing a lot of interrupts at the OS.

Quote:It only occurs after coming back from standby, and when sound is playing.

As in both need to happen for the problem to appear?

Quote:So yea, it's my sound card. Crap. How do I fix that...

Start by telling us what audio chipset you have.

Quote: but it's going slow (dialup)

Oh jesus. Do you have DSL or cable in your area?
Quote:As in both need to happen for the problem to appear?

Yep. The CPU usage only increases after coming out of standby (lasting till the computer is reset) and if sound is running. I found that I can reduce the CPU usage somewhat it by cranking the sound card settings down, but bleh, it sounds kinda bad. I'm spoiled by 24bit sound Sad. And yes, I can tell. I'm a former sound tech.

Quote:Start by telling us what audio chipset you have.

Derp, I forgot didn't I? I am using a Sound Blaster Audigy LS sound card, PCI. Or was it LE... it's been years. It's old, but I'm fond of it.. Fortunately my G35s are not affected, so, I should be able to fall back on the Integrated Sound on my motherboard if I can't fix the old sound card.

First thing I'm doing is getting the official drivers. I have been using the unofficial "Pavlov" drivers for years, without any problems on my old system. It unlocks the crystalizer and a bunch of other X-fi tricks on the old cards. The only one of those tricks I was even using was the equalizer (yes I checked, equalizer has no effect on this issue). My speakers are very powerful, but off enough to drive me insane if I don't have a good EQ. So yea, official drivers. If that doesn't work, I go to the integrated sound on the motherboard. I've heard that integrated sound is way better than the crappy old stuff that was around back when I got this card, so, I may just find out.

Quote:Oh jesus. Do you have DSL or cable in your area?

Nope. Tried to move out once but, the housing crisis hit and it screwed up all our plans. Now that things are looking up a bit, we're trying to get the house on the market and get out. But it may be a while. AT&T has promised to bring Uverse to the area, but it's been two years, and they still aren't here. They put fiber through the community a couple months ago, right at our driveway in fact, but they still haven't set things up. I'm getting rather impatient.
Quote:I'm spoiled by 24bit sound . And yes, I can tell. I'm a former sound tech.

You do realize that nearly every system made in the last 6+ years has an integrated audio chipset that supports 24 bit audio processing, decoding, and output right? Probably much longer than but I can't remember when integrated audio chipsets started supporting it.

Quote: I am using a Sound Blaster Audigy LS sound card

>creative audio device
>old
>windows 7

[Image: demotivational-posters-well-theres-your-problem6.jpg]

Quote:I've heard that integrated sound is way better than the crappy old stuff that was around back when I got this card, so, I may just find out.

I don't consider myself to be an audiophile but I seem to be a lot more scrutinous about audio than most people that I know. I can definitely hear (and am bothered by) things that other people either can't hear or don't really care about.

And I can tell you that while integrated audio chipsets have come a long way when it comes to digital features analog output on any integrated chipset is still garbage (the SNR is terrible). But this shouldn't be much of an issue in the modern age since you should be hooking it up to a receiver, preamp, etc. anyways. But if you're hooking up equipment or headphones to the analog outputs you should invest in a good audio card.

Quote:Nope. Tried to move out once but, the housing crisis hit and it screwed up all our plans. Now that things are looking up a bit, we're trying to get the house on the market and get out. But it may be a while. AT&T has promised to bring Uverse to the area, but it's been two years, and they still aren't here. They put fiber through the community a couple months ago, right at our driveway in fact, but they still haven't set things up. I'm getting rather impatient.

That's rough. I literally can't even imagine using dial-up in this day and age. It's so horribly unproductive.
Official drivers tested. Doing the exact same thing. Crap. Well, bye bye Sound Blaster.

So, have any recommendations for a good sound card? Better than that old piece of crap would be nice. I'm not using amps or receivers, cause well, I don't have any need for it. I don't watch TV, I watch movies on my computer, hell even my Wii goes through my TV tuner. It all goes through my computer anyway. Plus I don't have room for surround. What I do have, is very powerful speakers. Logitech Z2300, so badass the subwoofer has a heatsink. Buuuut they need equalizing. They have poor upper range out of the box (no tweeters). But a little equalizing, and they sound GREAT. That's my only real need outside of good quality, some sort of equalizing solution. That unofficial sound blaster driver gave me that.

Quote:You do realize that nearly every system made in the last 6+ years has an integrated audio chipset that supports 24 bit audio processing, decoding, and output right?

I was referring to the fact that I could reduce the impact of the problem by cranking the old sound card to 16bit. The system interrupts take roughly half of the CPU power that way. But keeping it that way would take part of my soul. I'd rather use the integrated.
Quote:So, have any recommendations for a good sound card? Better than that old piece of crap would be nice.

Here is what I need from you. An excruciatingly detailed description of your entire audio system. Every single hardware device starting from your PC and all of the connections (cables and standards) used between them. Also a description of the room would be nice.

Quote:I'm not using amps or receivers, cause well, I don't have any need for it.

Probably because you have tiny main speakers that are active (built in amp).

Quote: Plus I don't have room for surround.

I doubt that. I had surround sound set up to my desktop back when I was living in a dorm, and that was the tiniest room you'll ever see.

Quote:What I do have, is very powerful speakers. Logitech Z2300, so badass the subwoofer has a heatsink.

>very powerful
>logitech

Excuse me while I go laugh uncontrollably in the corner for awhile.

Quote:Buuuut they need equalizing.

Of course they do. Everything needs equalizing, especially small PC desk speakers. Even with a good subwoofer the upper bass and high frequency ranges tend to be extremely weak.

Quote: (no tweeters)

Oh wow. That's an.....interesting design choice.

Quote: But a little equalizing, and they sound GREAT. That's my only real need outside of good quality, some sort of equalizing solution. That unofficial sound blaster driver gave me that.

That's all you needed it for? You realize that their are plenty of 3rd party applications out there for this right?

You could go so much farther than this.
i love the way natural violence takes every piece of detail and uses it against you. NOBODY'S SAFE!!! Tongue
Pages: 1 2