Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: How do you convert Dolphin videos into AVIs?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

MrSRArter

Any way to convert Dolphin videos into AVIs?
Whoa. I did not know you could make videos of the game you are playing, that should be useful for my emulator walkthroughs on youtube... Smile

MrSRArter

Yep, and I think Dolphin's video recording feature works better than the recording features for any of the NES emulators I used. I just need to know a way to convert the videos.
They are already in AVI format... The only thing you have to do is add in the audio.

Use "Dump Frames" and "Dump Audio" simultaneously. Then use whatever muxing program you feel like using to combine the two. The audio supposedly has problems staying in sync with the video, but I've never noticed.

You will also need to make sure that 30FPS game don't play 2x speed by halving the time in a video editor.
AVI is just a wrapper; what codec is used is where it all counts. I have no idea what codec dolphin saves in, but I'd guess something with little overhead and poor compression. It might be worth converting it into a different codec.
The videos look excellent. That is all I know about the codec. Either way, it should play fine in VLC and probably Windows Media Player.
Quote:Either way, it should play fine in VLC and probably Windows Media Player.

When I save without a codec it looks amazing, but each video also takes gigabytes per minute Tongue. Transcoding is about the balance between quality and filesize. Pick your codecs wisely.

At any rate, if it saves in high quality, it would be simple enough to use handbrake or mediacoder to transcode it into a nice MP4 with AVC.
You can use mediainfo to check out which codec it uses but since its AVI and large i'm guessing Xvid or Mpeg4.
AVI, MP4, MKV, etc are video containers. Not codecs.
XVID, DIVX, H264,etc are codecs.
There's a difference between the two. Smile

As for the OP, afaik Dolphin saves the frames in lossless AVI.
That's the reason why the filesize is enormous.
It's highly recommended to compress your video by using video encoders such as H264 to reduce the filesize drastically.
Depending on the settings, you'll also barely notice quality loss.
When creating a dolphin video, there's a pop-up dialog with a pulldown to select the codec to encode in. It gets the list of system installed codecs.
Pages: 1 2