Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: What is the best Dolphin setup for high end PCs?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hello all, I need help setting up Dolphin 3.0 to run full or wide screen, high settings, 720p, and a constant 60+ fps rate.

My Current PC specs:

CPU: Intel i5 2500K
RAM: 8GB
Video card/GPU: ATI XFX 6870
Dolphin 3.0

*****At the moment, I'm using Starscream's setup posted on the sticky above but with a few minor changes (Internal Resolution 3x, Xsound2, full screen, and Ansioscope Filtering 16x). It runs the games just fine, but the speed for Dolphin is still slow on some games.***** (asterisked and bolded to prevent people from asking my current Dolphin settings)

I've been searching for the past few weeks and tried lots of method on Youtube and on here, but most people seem to be running Dolphin 3.0 on low settings and windowed mode on their laptops just fine, but I want to run this on its highest settings to get a better quality. I was hoping a few people here have high end gaming desktop PC's similar to mines and if they can share their Dolphin settings.

There are a few vids out there that gave the tune ups I need, but they still run at 15-30 frames for me, so I was hoping to fix this problem.

I've already tried turning off unneccesary background programs, cleaning up for extra hard drive space, using Game Booster, using different settings from users on this forum, any kind of FPS enhancements, the Dolphin performance guide, etc. No kind of luck.

There are a few games that runs constantly at 60+ fps for me such as Wario World, Mario Kart DD, Legend of Zelda Collectors Edition... then a few other games that run at a constant 15-30 fps such as Zelda Twilight Princess, Zelda WW, and Pokemon Coleissium... others jumping in between 30 and 60 fps like Luigi's Mansion, Zelda Four Swords (30 fps during cutscenes, 60 fps during gameplay).

I see lots of users on Youtube running the games I want to run at a steady 60+ fps but there are no signs of them showing off their Dolphin settings. Heck... they're running Wii games at a steady 60+ fps 1080p and I'm only wanting to run GC games at that rate.
Overclock your CPU to 4.5GHz and you're fineSmile
First off, not every game runs at 60FPS.
Running a game that was programmed and intended for 30FPS at 60FPS will run the game twice as fast.

Quote: then a few other games that run at a constant 15-30 fps such as Zelda Twilight Princess, Zelda WW, and Pokemon Coleissium...
These should definitely run better.
You should be able to run the Zelda games at fullspeed, while Pokemon might have some slowdowns here and there.

Quote:others jumping in between 30 and 60 fps like Luigi's Mansion, Zelda Four Swords (30 fps during cutscenes, 60 fps during gameplay).
These should also run at 60FPS.

There's definitely something wrong with your rig. I've a similar rig so I know.
Have you overclocked your 2500K?
Download CoreTemp and have it open while you play your games (for around 10-15 minutes constructively) and report your maximum temperatures here.
(10-25-2012, 05:01 AM)DefenderX Wrote: [ -> ]Overclock your CPU to 4.5GHz and you're fineSmile

Tried that before... CPU temps went way beyond normal for some reason.
(10-25-2012, 05:11 AM)Garteal Wrote: [ -> ]First off, not every game runs at 60FPS.
Running a game that was programmed and intended for 30FPS at 60FPS will run the game twice as fast.

Quote: then a few other games that run at a constant 15-30 fps such as Zelda Twilight Princess, Zelda WW, and Pokemon Coleissium...
These should definitely run better.
You should be able to run the Zelda games at fullspeed, while Pokemon might have some slowdowns here and there.

Yes, I just re-read the FAQ again about some games having their own settings. Alright, I don't mind that. But you mentioned Zelda games should be running at fullspeed... how would I go about fixing that? During gameplay and cutscenes they jump between 15-30 fps.
Make sure the integrated graphics are off.
[quote='Garteal' pid='243644' dateline='1351105882']

Quote:

There's definitely something wrong with your rig. I've a similar rig so I know.
Have you overclocked your 2500K?
Download CoreTemp and have it open while you play your games (for around 10-15 minutes constructively) and report your maximum temperatures here.

Yes, I've overclocked it before for other PC games such as Battlefield 3, Guild Wars 2, and Metro 2033. Temps went way beyond normal according to other people who have overclocked the same CPU... it was still running at high temps even during idle mode. Changed it back to its original 3.3Ghz state and now the temps are back to normal. I'm not sure what was causing it, but any kind of overclocking has some kinds of risks anyway. Looking for another alternative and safe method lol.
(10-25-2012, 05:12 AM)Innkeeper Wrote: [ -> ]Tried that before... CPU temps went way beyond normal for some reason.

You do have a cooler, right? What did you OC to, and what were your reported temps?

I've got MSI Afterburner and I can run that and post a screenshot in a bit. Would it matter which game I ran?
(10-25-2012, 05:17 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-25-2012, 05:12 AM)Innkeeper Wrote: [ -> ]Tried that before... CPU temps went way beyond normal for some reason.

You do have a cooler, right? What did you OC to, and what were your reported temps?

Yes, I have an aftermarket one. Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus. I believe the CPU shot up to 80-90C+ before my computer shutted down.
Don't overclock your CPU yet.
Run the games you're having problems with at stock clocks and let us see what temperatures you're reaching.
I believe MaJoR mentioned that the 212+ was one of the bad 212s and that it should not be used for OC'ing. I could be wrong though.
Pages: 1 2 3