Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Close Dolphin hotkey?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I found out a little while ago that I could close Dolphin by holding down the power button on the Wii Remote, just like I could power off a real Wii. This is a very nice feature for my HTPC. Tbh I can't really tell if it is an intentional feature or a crash, but no matter.

Can something similar be done through a hotkey? Specifically I would like Escape to close Dolphin in its entirety so I could be returned to XBMC.

I would like a way to do this on both Linux (Xubuntu) and Windows 8.
Quote:I found out a little while ago that I could close Dolphin by holding down the power button on the Wii Remote, just like I could power off a real Wii. This is a very nice feature for my HTPC. Tbh I can't really tell if it is an intentional feature or a crash, but no matter.
Holding the power button a Wiimote always shutdown the Wiimote for me, not Dolphin, but I haven't tested the newer versions yet with a Wiimote.
Does this happen in both 3.0 and latest revs?

Quote:Can something similar be done through a hotkey? Specifically I would like Escape to close Dolphin in its entirety so I could be returned to XBMC.

I would like a way to do this on both Linux (Xubuntu) and Windows 8.
Yes you can. I'm assuming you're already executing Dolphin via the commandline since you're using XBMC.

Simply pass the following argument "/b" along to close Dolphin entirely when you hit escape.
I only started noticing the power button thing with the newer revisions, but it may have been present in 3.0 too. I'll check. Either way I like it.

/b is a parameter for Dolphin I assume that means "close Dolphin upon ending emulation" or something like that?
Can't you just set up a hotkey for Alt-F4?
Alt F4 is a Windows-only thing iirc.
(10-22-2012, 10:14 AM)Axxer Wrote: [ -> ]Alt F4 is a Windows-only thing iirc.

Not really. A lot of Linux desktop environments use that combo as the default to close active windows. This is at least true of vanilla KDE and XFCE installs (Xubuntu more than likely changes some stuff, not sure if this is one such aspect). Gnome 3 and Unity probably change this as well. In all desktop environments, this behavior should be easily configurable though.
At any rate, I wouldn't like the hot key to affect anything outside of Dolphin and XBMC.
You could always setup a hotkey that runs a script/bash file to kill any Dolphin process, so other programs would be spared. However, at this point, such a solution is more round-about than simply passing the /b parameter and pressing Escape :p
But that ruins all of the fun Tongue

Thanks guys, I think I have enough to get everything set up.