Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Double Performance?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Here's a question you don't see every day. I just met a person claiming that they have hacked Melee to double it's performance in Dolphin. They say that they have hacked Lightning Mode, making the game run at twice it's normal speed constantly throughout gameplay. Then, set Dolphin's framelimiter to 30fps, and boom, doubled performance. So they say.

Well, I wrote it off as crazy at first but, hmm. Would that work? How would it behave?
If Melee is a 30 FPS game, he literally just made the characters move 2x as fast so it seemed like the performance was high. The performance probably didn't change. If it is a 60 FPS game, they probably said "Hmm, I can't run it full speed on my system, so why don't I run it at half speed and set the in-game settings to move 2x as fast?"

I don't think it would double FPS. Just double the speed if the characters.
Melee is a 60fps game. The idea is to make Melee run at double speed while Dolphin is operating 60fps, then set Dolphin's framelimiter to 30fps to bring the game's perceived speed back to normal.
Yeah, that would work. The game would run better on slower computers that way while maintaining proper game "speed" (speed of characters and moves basically). Performance actually decreases most likely, but perceived speed increases.
It's been done before for a number of popular games on other emulators. So yes, it does work, it's just very hard and has to be done on a game by game basis.
Any downsides?
1. It's hard
2. It will probably break stuff and might require extensive debugging.
3. It's a per-game hack that can't be applied to any other games.
There are idle skip and speed hacks for games like NMH in the forum.
How EXACTLY did he make the game run twice as fast at 60 fps ????