Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Help with my new laptop
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,
I have bought a new laptop and tried to run wii games. For start i have tried super mario galaxy but i still got slow motion sometimes and sometimes works fast. FPS at current config 40/39/38 at internal resolution 1.5x.
Is my laptop too slow to run wii games? or maybe someone can help me config my dolphin to run games with no problem?

Please help

Bellow all the info:

Dolphin version: 3.0-776-dirty x64

Intel Core i7 - 2670QM 2.2 GHz with turbo boost up to 3.1 GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M, 2GB
8 GB Ram

That processor is too slow to run that game, yes. You might have better luck with some of the less demanding Gamecube games.
1) Make sure Dolphin is using Dedicated Nvidia GPU
2) 3.1GHz is single core mode . Your CPU will boost to 2.8GHz at best if it does not overheat . You better use "Realtemp" to check your CPU clock speed when dolphin is running
3) Mario Galaxy is CPU and GPU intensive game , no way you can run it full speed on that laptop . Your laptop CPU can run most wii games at playable speed or full speed , except these demanding games : The Last Story , SMG 1&2 , Xenoblade (full speed with HLE but not LLE) , Pandora's Tower ...
4) Use Settings for best speed . For better quality , you can try 1x / 1.5x / 2x / 2.5x IR , no AA , 16x AF
(10-17-2012, 05:25 PM)Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]That processor is too slow to run that game, yes. You might have better luck with some of the less demanding Gamecube games.

It is an i7 with 8 cores 4+4. I saw users with i5 running on laptops and worked cant understand why does not work at me....
Anyway thx for the answer.
(10-17-2012, 05:26 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]1) Make sure Dolphin is using Dedicated Nvidia GPU
2) 3.1GHz is single core mode . Your CPU will boost to 2.8GHz at best if it does not overheat . You better use "Realtemp" to check your CPU clock speed when dolphin is running
3) Mario Galaxy is CPU and GPU intensive game , no way you can run it full speed on that laptop . Your laptop CPU can run most wii games at playable speed or full speed , except these demanding games : The Last Story , SMG 1&2 , Xenoblade (full speed with HLE but not LLE) , Pandora's Tower ...
4) Use Settings for best speed . For better quality , you can try 1x / 1.5x / 2x / 2.5x IR , no AA , 16x AF

Thank you for the info i will try this a little bit later and come back with info.
(10-17-2012, 10:04 PM)devrulz Wrote: [ -> ]It is an i7 with 8 cores 4+4

Dolphin uses only 2 cores (+1 core for LLE).
Your clock speed (even + TB) isn't enough for SMG. 3.4-3.6GHz are enough. A few more if you use LLE
Quote:It is an i7 with 8 cores 4+4.
Doesn't matter
Dolphin use 2 cores + 1 (if "LLE on threads" is enabled)
The best CPU for Mario Galaxy is either i5 2500k @ 4.5GHz or i5 3570k @ 4.2GHz . Laptop CPU are not even close unless you're willing to pay more than 3000$ for gaming laptop that can be overclocked to 4.0GHz or higher
Mario Galaxy also tax the GPU power . Nvidia GT 540M can handle 2.5x IR , no AA , 16x AF on most games but it can't handle more than 1.5xIR on Mario Galaxy
Btw , it's not 8 cores but 4 cores and 8 threads
i use 2760. 3.5 per core

under lle, you're gonna have issues.

besides, game crashes especially at the squid boss.

play under hle, sacrifice music. should be fine [maybe]

8 threads buddy, 4 cores. 2 threads per core.
(10-17-2012, 10:15 PM)LordVador Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-17-2012, 10:04 PM)devrulz Wrote: [ -> ]It is an i7 with 8 cores 4+4

Dolphin uses only 2 cores (+1 core for LLE).
Your clock speed (even + TB) isn't enough for SMG. 3.4-3.6GHz are enough. A few more if you use LLE

It's clear now.. i did nor know that dolfin use only 2 cores.

Thanks allot guys for the help
Nope , Dolphin will use 3 cores if you enable "LLE on Threads"
(10-18-2012, 12:17 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Nope , Dolphin will use 3 cores if you enable "LLE on Threads"

it's ok i undestood but i will play without lle if possible