Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: question about fps
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So i was playing the conduit and i noticed something but im not sure. It was running really bad like 15fps and i think i know why.

when your playing a game at the bottom of the Dolphin app it tells Fps and cpu loaded and what not.

but next to the fps it loooked something like FPS:15.0/~30(~100%)|cORE:

Now im guessing the 30 in that is the maximum FPS, but why when i play Gamecube games it runs at a max of 60 but Wii only 30...

anyone help me out?

System specs:
Video: Nvidia 9800 GTX+
Cpu: Amd Phenom 9950
(07-09-2009, 08:24 PM)Skaterninja25 Wrote: [ -> ]So i was playing the conduit and i noticed something but im not sure. It was running really bad like 15fps and i think i know why.

when your playing a game at the bottom of the Dolphin app it tells Fps and cpu loaded and what not.

but next to the fps it loooked something like FPS:15.0/~30(~100%)|cORE:

Now im guessing the 30 in that is the maximum FPS, but why when i play Gamecube games it runs at a max of 60 but Wii only 30...

anyone help me out?

System specs:
Video: Nvidia 9800 GTX+
Cpu: Amd Phenom 9950

Also when a game is right clicked>>Properties-
These settings are said to override dolphin settings.... how can this be turned off so all games use dolphin settings because at the moment all games have everything enabled.
Some games use such FPS system
(07-09-2009, 09:14 PM)nosound97 Wrote: [ -> ]Some games use such FPS system

=LAG

well not lag just makes the game play in slow motion? hahaha
I meant that for some games max FPS can be 30 FPS and games runs at full speed with such counter.
(07-09-2009, 08:24 PM)Skaterninja25 Wrote: [ -> ]Also when a game is right clicked>>Properties-
These settings are said to override dolphin settings.... how can this be turned off so all games use dolphin settings because at the moment all games have everything enabled.

Now someone correct me if I'm wrong but when you look at the properties box in Dolphin, the boxes BY DEFAULT at filled in. What that means is that it is using the default settings set out in dolphin. When you change these, IE. they're a tick or empty, then you are EXPLICITLY telling Dolphin to run the game with these options enabled or disabled regardless of the settings set in the main program.
60hz / 60 FPS is what most (if not all?) NTSC consoles will run at internally, regardless of how many frames per second they're putting out graphically. This is why if you are running a game (such as Zelda: Twilight Princess) at 30FPS, it seems to be half-speed, even though the game only runs at 30FPS. It'd be nice to get around this (if the 30FPS limit is your GPU's problem and not the CPU's, dolphin should be coded to allow the CPU to run at 2x the GPU's rate, kind of what the GC/WII do from my understanding is just redisplay the old frame 2 times in a row to achieve 30FPS, that way the CPU/GPU can remain busy for an extra frame to do work that would otherwise make the game choppy at 60FPS). I get about "50 FPS" in Twilight Princess, and it doesn't run quite at full speed. The game is probably rendering 25FPS at that point.
(07-10-2009, 02:26 AM)RushJet1 Wrote: [ -> ]60hz / 60 FPS is what most (if not all?) NTSC consoles will run at internally, regardless of how many frames per second they're putting out graphically. This is why if you are running a game (such as Zelda: Twilight Princess) at 30FPS, it seems to be half-speed, even though the game only runs at 30FPS. It'd be nice to get around this (if the 30FPS limit is your GPU's problem and not the CPU's, dolphin should be coded to allow the CPU to run at 2x the GPU's rate, kind of what the GC/WII do from my understanding is just redisplay the old frame 2 times in a row to achieve 30FPS, that way the CPU/GPU can remain busy for an extra frame to do work that would otherwise make the game choppy at 60FPS). I get about "50 FPS" in Twilight Princess, and it doesn't run quite at full speed. The game is probably rendering 25FPS at that point.

Yeah exactly, i cant seem to figure out why some games run so slow. Maybe its the version im running i have no clue but most games stay at about 35 fps Sad out of 60 and i can tell that they are sort of slow.

It would be nice if dolphin had a bypass or some kinda speed hack just maybe a 1.5 or 2x speed hack.
(07-10-2009, 04:16 AM)Skaterninja25 Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-10-2009, 02:26 AM)RushJet1 Wrote: [ -> ]60hz / 60 FPS is what most (if not all?) NTSC consoles will run at internally, regardless of how many frames per second they're putting out graphically. This is why if you are running a game (such as Zelda: Twilight Princess) at 30FPS, it seems to be half-speed, even though the game only runs at 30FPS. It'd be nice to get around this (if the 30FPS limit is your GPU's problem and not the CPU's, dolphin should be coded to allow the CPU to run at 2x the GPU's rate, kind of what the GC/WII do from my understanding is just redisplay the old frame 2 times in a row to achieve 30FPS, that way the CPU/GPU can remain busy for an extra frame to do work that would otherwise make the game choppy at 60FPS). I get about "50 FPS" in Twilight Princess, and it doesn't run quite at full speed. The game is probably rendering 25FPS at that point.

Yeah exactly, i cant seem to figure out why some games run so slow. Maybe its the version im running i have no clue but most games stay at about 35 fps Sad out of 60 and i can tell that they are sort of slow.

It would be nice if dolphin had a bypass or some kinda speed hack just maybe a 1.5 or 2x speed hack.

Just cant understand how some folks can get these DS games up to 100+ Fps when it looks to me like my dolphin is 60fps limited with all games