Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: My cpu might be too slow
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I already know my computer can run dolphin, but I think I'm finally starting to figure out my processor isn't nearly as beast as I thought it was. I have a core 2 duo, both cores clocked at 2.8ghz. Alot of games I've been playing lately I've noticed will not get full speed(Twilight Princess, Super Paper Mario,Madden 13). No matter what options I play around with they will lag enough to make me not want to play(20 fps).It looks like to me my cpu is just too slow. I just need to make sure it is the cpu slowing me down before I decide to go shell out money for a new cpu/mobo. And I know it isn't my gpu bottlenecking me. When I lag I'l pause the emulator and lower the enhancements, click play and the fps won't raise. I also tested with 3 different revisions 2 with default settings and two with default and "speed" settings to see if it could be a bad revision.
Dolphin 3.0- Default settings
Dolphin 3.0-432 Default and Speed settings
Dolphin 3.0-774 Default and Speed settings

Just in case
Specs:
core 2 duo @2.8ghz
Radeon HD 6670 GDDR5 RAM
4 GIG DDR2 Ram
Windows 8 32bit/Ubuntu 64bit/Xubuntu 64bit
Hitachi Deskstar 320 gig.

So basically my question is does it look like my processor is too slow for wii games and alot of gamecube games?

As always, any processors or mobos or any hardware you all recommend is greatly appreciated and I'l probably end up buying in the next couple months(even though I've read enough topics to know which mobo and i5/i7 is best for dolphin).

Also my internet is really buggy right now and I can not for the life of me get imageshack to upload pictures so I will have to upload screenshots of those settings tomorrow after school. Thank ya'll.
Quote:So basically my question is does it look like my processor is too slow for wii games and alot of gamecube games?
Yeah , you already know the answer , don't you ?
If you don't want to upgrade , you'll have to overclock your CPU (3.4GHz is a good start)
Quote:As always, any processors or mobos or any hardware you all recommend is greatly appreciated and I'l probably end up buying in the next couple months
How much will you spend ?
(10-16-2012, 05:45 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:So basically my question is does it look like my processor is too slow for wii games and alot of gamecube games?
Yeah , you already know the answer , don't you ?
If you don't want to upgrade , you'll have to overclock your CPU (3.4GHz is a good start)
Quote:As always, any processors or mobos or any hardware you all recommend is greatly appreciated and I'l probably end up buying in the next couple months
How much will you spend ?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's my cpu. Football seasons about over and when I start working again I can have 700 to 800 saved up in 2 to 3 months. I've been on newegg all night as well. Also, I'd love to over clock but my psu is 240watt.
But, I've got a wishlist on newegg now.
Cpu
Here
Mobo
Here
Ram
Here
Psu
Here
Case(This is niceBig Grin)
Here
And last but not least, GPU
Here

I know that this would run dolphin, and run games alot better than my rig. I also plan to order another 2 sticks of the ram when I had more money. But I think this is the best rig for $745 I could find right off the bat. Do you know of any better deals?
You should choose 500W (or higher) 80 plus certified PSU from : Cooler Master , Corsair , Seasonic , Thermaltake ...
Wattage mean nothing if it has 70% or lower efficiency
You choose a full size ATX case , right ? Why would you pair a micro ATX mobo with it ? Not ATX mobo like this one (Asrock = Asus)
Btw, don't forget CPU heatsink and thermal compound
Here is the Psu I found.
And that was the first mobo I had found cheapish, I didn't even realize to check for dimensions.
And I added those to the wishlist, took the others off and it's $795.00, right on the dot. Thank you so much!
Um... 4 reviews , 2 of them are DOA (not working -> return it back) . I would not buy it if i was you
Antec Modular PSU is good too . Modular PSU is great for cable management
Corsair GX600
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6817139028
Silverstone SLI / Crossfire Ready 600W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6817256071

Rosewill (Newegg's Brand) which is best bang for the buck , 80 plus Gold = 90% efficiency , almost no faulty product
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6817182262

Edit : Stay away from AMD 7000 series . Reason :
http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/showthread.php?tid=22966
Buy AMD 6870 or Nvidia GTX 660 instead
Quote:You should choose 500W (or higher) 80 plus certified PSU from : Cooler Master , Corsair , Seasonic , Thermaltake ...
Wattage mean nothing if it has 70% or lower efficiency

While that's true the listed efficiency also isn't a good way to judge the quality of a PSU. I've seen plenty of PSUs with a high wattage and high efficiency listed that are complete garbage.

Quote:You choose a full size ATX case , right ? Why would you pair a micro ATX mobo with it ?

I do it all the time. I don't buy big cases just so I can have big motherboards.

Quote:(Asrock = Asus)

lolwut?

They're two completely different companies with no relationship to each other. In fact it's rumored that ASUS is corrently planning to acquire ASRock.

Quote:Um... 4 reviews , 2 of them are DOA (not working -> return it back) . I would not buy it if i was you
Antec Modular PSU is good too . Modular PSU is great for cable management

I second this. I recently helped one of my friends build his first PC. I picked the parts for him including this PSU (back when it was on sale for $50). It is an amazing PSU and a steal at that price.
(10-17-2012, 08:19 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]lolwut?

They're two completely different companies with no relationship to each other. In fact it's rumored that ASUS is corrently planning to acquire ASRock.

Quote:In 2002, Asus created the ASRock brand to sell entry-level motherboards and to target the commodity OEM market, going up against the likes of ECS and Foxconn. It gave Asus a foothold into the budget motherboard market without damaging its enthusiast brand recognition.

(10-17-2012, 08:19 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]I do it all the time. I don't buy big cases just so I can have big motherboards.
That MSI micro ATX mobo is suck in term of quality . That's why i told him to stick with Asrock Extreme 3 Gen 4 and it's only 10$ higher price
Quote:In 2002, Asus created the ASRock brand to sell entry-level motherboards and to target the commodity OEM market, going up against the likes of ECS and Foxconn. It gave Asus a foothold into the budget motherboard market without damaging its enthusiast brand recognition.

Keep reading (from your own source):
Quote:ASRock is now owned by Pegatron, which itself was a subsidiary of Asus incorporated in 2007. Pegatron has since been spun off and is no longer connected to Asus, so now the ASRock brand Asus created is a direct competitor.

As you can plainly see they are not the same company nor are they connected in any way, shape, or form.

Quote:That MSI micro ATX mobo is suck in term of quality . That's why i told him to stick with Asrock Extreme 3 Gen 4 and it's only 10$ higher price

That's true but you didn't mention the brand or the quality. All you said was:
Quote:You choose a full size ATX case , right ? Why would you pair a micro ATX mobo with it ?

Implying that for some reason it's a bad idea to put a microATX motherboard inside a fulltower case. Which is of course a ridiculous assertion.
Just curious, I'm going to try to just buy the motherboard, cpu, and ram for now but I have a few questions, how much wattage from a psu would I need to run those components with my HD 6670 LP edition(uses alot less power)?
I have a 300 watt psu laying around I can use if it is good enough to power that.
Pages: 1 2