Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: External cooling fan for laptop?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

SubM3thod

Hello, quick question for you guys: I'm running Dolphin on a Toshiba Satellite laptop with i5 M450 processor and Nvidia Gforce 330 video card.

The only game I've tried to far is Super Mario Sunshine, it works great even at fairly high settings. I usually get around 25 fps with 100% speed... but only for the first 15 minutes or so. After that the laptop begins to get quite hot, and I'm pretty sure I could boil water or light a small fire with the air coming from the vent. (Although I haven't tried yet.) After about 20 minutes the game begins to run at around 60% speed with poo FPS.

Do you think an external cooling dock would solve my problem? If so, I'll pick one up and give a report that will hopefully help other new users out.

Also, what are some good brands or models to check out? I'd prefer to spend around $50 or less if possible.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Normal PC external fans usually don't have much of an affect on laptops for keeping them cool. I've had better luck with a house fan blowing across the laptop while playing. Preferably cool air circulating over and under the laptop will work fine as long as the fan is powerful enough. You don't want to have the fan blowing into the exhaust vent, so on the opposite side would be best. That may sound somewhat strange, but if you're not able to modify your laptop's internals to keep it cooler, your options are pretty limited.
I have one of these (not exact, but similar, I can't remember the name itself) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6834992522 and it keeps my laptop well under safe temperatures, even under load. Dust can be an issue as well, if the machine gets too warm, the CPU and GPU will throttle themselves to prevent overheating.

SubM3thod

(10-11-2012, 08:29 AM)Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]Normal PC external fans usually don't have much of an affect on laptops for keeping them cool. I've had better luck with a house fan blowing across the laptop while playing. Preferably cool air circulating over and under the laptop will work fine as long as the fan is powerful enough. You don't want to have the fan blowing into the exhaust vent, so on the opposite side would be best. That may sound somewhat strange, but if you're not able to modify your laptop's internals to keep it cooler, your options are pretty limited.

When I said external cooling fan I meant one of these things: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6834992913

Is that what you're referring to as well? In any case though, I'll try just propping the laptop up and blowing a fan over it like you said and see if that works. I'll post an update once I try it out.
Those things don't do much. I'm pretty sure that is what he is referring to.
Well, the best solution is to remove the old thermal compound and apple a new one (e.g. Arctic Cooling MX-4). More you can't really do.
(10-11-2012, 10:36 AM)Axxer Wrote: [ -> ]Those things don't do much. I'm pretty sure that is what he is referring to.

Better than not having one at all.
(10-11-2012, 09:34 PM)DefenderX Wrote: [ -> ]Well, the best solution is to remove the old thermal compound and apple a new one (e.g. Arctic Cooling MX-4). More you can't really do.

You just have to subliminally advertise apple everywhere, don't you?
Big Grin
"apply" not "apple"
Your best solution is to buy a Macbook Retina and enjoy the insane resolution now (JK)
(10-11-2012, 08:29 AM)Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]Normal PC external fans usually don't have much of an affect on laptops for keeping them cool. I've had better luck with a house fan blowing across the laptop while playing. Preferably cool air circulating over and under the laptop will work fine as long as the fan is powerful enough. You don't want to have the fan blowing into the exhaust vent, so on the opposite side would be best. That may sound somewhat strange, but if you're not able to modify your laptop's internals to keep it cooler, your options are pretty limited.
Repaint the laptop and fail honorably
[Image: 3d5f56fbbcc1c06fdfd52739dced32b4a5ef08df...3a994g.jpg]
The noise level of this laptop is ...(believe me , you don't want to know about it) . I'm using 40mm fan with high air-flow , i also soldered "south bridge heatsink" (on desktop mobo) to the GPU and CPU to keep both running cool

Not much of a laptop any mroe is it? XD
Pages: 1 2