Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Here is my machine
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just so I set the record straight, it was never my intent to get this laptop for the purpose of super heavy or super-demanding gaming, as I was and still am on a college student budget. So yes, it's not a really high-end machine, but it does get the job done (unrelated non-emulators, such as PC games run fine, but that's a different story). Buying a new gaming rig right now is not practical.

The specs are in my signature, I will post more in-depth sections for the CPU and GPU. I want honest feedback, and yes, I am aware that I don't have a snowball's chance in hell of running demanding games like F-Zero GX. Are there settings I can change/tweak for better overall performance and stability? Is there anything I should change?

Intel Core i7 2670QM instructions: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, AVX, Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology (EIST), Intel 64, XD bit (an NX bit implementation), TXT, Intel VT-x, Intel VT-d, Hyper-threading, Turbo Boost, AES-NI, Smart Cache.

nVidia GeForce GT555M: http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeFo...933.0.html (labeled as a mid-high end GPU, GDDR5 version)

Here are my current settings for Dolphin -

[Image: dolphingeneral.png]
[Image: dolphinspu.png]
[Image: dolphingpu.png]
Right-click "F-Zero GX" - Properties - Tick "Enable Dual Core" because that game is using single core mode by default (to prevent the game from crashing)
"Enable Dual Core" option on main config will not work with this game
(10-10-2012, 01:19 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Right-click "F-Zero GX" - Properties - Tick "Enable Dual Core" because that game is using single core mode by default (to prevent the game from crashing)
"Enable Dual Core" option on main config will not work with this game

Did that already and it still runs very slow in large levels; I have to face the fact I will never be able to run this at full speed. Aside from trying to get this game to run (since it's a vain effort on my part), what other settings can I do to help improve other games?

[Image: fzerom.png]
Quote:Did that already and it still runs very slow in large levels
From what i saw in that screenshot . Um no , you didn't
But F-Zero need 3.4GHz Sandy Bridge CPU to run fullspeed
(10-10-2012, 01:29 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Did that already and it still runs very slow in large levels
From what i saw in that screenshot . Um no , you didn't
But F-Zero need 3.4GHz Sandy Bridge CPU to run fullspeed

NEVERTHELESS, it doesn't run full speed after the changes, so yeah, I'd have to get a more powerful machine, (check the screenshot I just added showing the ISO properties). It's not worth getting a new machine just to play one game out of who knows how many hundreds.

Let's just forget about F-Zero for now, what else can I do, like LLE with DSP LLE on thread, or would that also be too demanding?
Depends on the games you want to play. Some games that require LLE audio don't take a crazy-strong CPU. Which titles do you have in mind?
(10-10-2012, 01:48 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]Depends on the games you want to play. Some games that require LLE audio don't take a crazy-strong CPU. Which titles do you have in mind?

Games I would like to play:

Super Smash Bros Melee - audio cuts out randomly without LLE
Tales of Symphonia - Missing channels/instruments without LLE
Soul Calibur 2 - audio cuts out randomly without LLE

I'd add Star Fox Adventures, but that is out of the question (very demanding on the CPU even with HLE)

There may be others I can't think of right now, but if I do, I'll post them.

I know my laptop sucks compared to everyone else here on the forums....Sad
Melee is not a very demanding game on LLE (sometimes I forget to switch back to HLE, I don't usually notice the difference :p) The sound hasn't cut out on me in a long time, strangely enough with HLE. The Ocean Bay LoZ:MM level does it the most from what I remember in my experience.

ToS is a bit more demanding with LLE. You'll definitely get slow downs with your system, but it should still be very enjoyable. This game runs very good on 3.0 (no drops whatsoever on my machine) but I've been meaning to test out the optimizations delroth recently committed in the latest revisions.

I have no clue about Soul Caliber 2, never owned or played it.
So my machine isn't NEARLY as bad as people say it is?
For a laptop, not really.
Pages: 1 2