Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: choosing best dolphin emulator for settings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
there are many types of dolphin emulator
1.normal builds
2.revision
3.DefenderX' ICC builds for Windows and OSX
4.Vlad's Intel friendly ICC optimized builds
5.Lectrode's ICC builds
6.ExtremeDude2's VC++ builds
7.Anti-Ultimate's ICC builds
etc
i'm just confused so help me guys for choosing best dolphin emulator and best settings only for super speed.....
i have a really poor cpu
my cpu specs are
1.amd athlon 64 x2 4400+ processor 2.3 ghz
2.2gb ddr2 ram
3.ati 6670 1gb ddr5 graphic card
4.450 watt psu
5.1tb harddisk
i am using dolphin v3.775 emulator........but this doesn't give me much satisfaction
when i start a game.....in game menu (only playing inazuma 11 strikers 2012 xtreme eu) the speed goes upto 392%
but the speed drops to 50-60% when i play the game...
i know that i can't have 100% speed for my poor cpu but atleast i can have 75-80% speed.....
so help me guys.........choosing best settings and best dolphin emulator for my cpu......(btw i am a newbie....so don't get angry at me PLEASE Tongue)

Use Dolphin 3.0 with these settings http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/showthread.php?tid=23618

Your system determinates the max speed you can get. You won't be able to go beyond your system limits. Whatever Dolphin version or settings you will use.

EDIT: older builds tend to be faster. It isn't recommended to use them so you can try them but at your own risk
Why are so many people suggesting Dolphin 3.0 as opposed to the 3.0 SVN or GIT builds? As far as I know, the SVN/GIT revisions have numerous compatibility fixes, performance optimizations (especially in the Gamecube department) and stability improvements, so, why is it being suggested?
Dolphin 3.0 is the latest official release. Still a good version, perfect balanced between speed and accuracy.
The fact is, a lot of games play just fine with 3.0 (but not all of them) so for that lot, there's no need to go to the latest revisions for compatibility. 3.0 also runs faster for some people depending on the game. Some games have greatly improved speed under newer revisions, but newer revisions generally tend to be more demanding. In essence, 3.0 strikes a good balance between speed and running games without problems, even if it's by no means perfect.

EDIT: Ninja'd
(10-09-2012, 04:26 AM)LordVador Wrote: [ -> ]EDIT: older builds tend to be faster. It isn't recommended to use them so you can try them but at your own risk

Source that fact.
(10-09-2012, 04:26 AM)LordVador Wrote: [ -> ]EDIT: older builds tend to be faster. It isn't recommended to use them so you can try them but at your own risk

Source to back up your claim or you've no right to deem it as fact. Explain to me why Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Mario Kart Wii and Soul Calibur 2 run at 60fps with newer SVN revisions on my so-called super weak CPU whereas those same games run like s**t on Dolphin 3.0 official.
(10-09-2012, 09:20 AM)nintendo_nerd Wrote: [ -> ]

Source to back up your claim or you've no right to deem it as fact. Explain to me why Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Mario Kart Wii and Soul Calibur 2 run at 60fps with newer SVN revisions on my so-called super weak CPU whereas those same games run like s**t on Dolphin 3.0 official.

Here is my explanation of what he is saying:

3.0 is generally faster in most games than some of the more recent GIT versions (I can't speak for the most recent ones which had a minor optimization). The emulation is also less accurate in some areas and very rarely is it more accurate in others (I haven't noticed it if there is a major revert).

The builds before 3.0 (much older builds) are a different story. They are faster because they are much less accurate in many areas and take more inaccurate shortcuts.

No one has done a major benchmark on the older builds vs. 3.0 vs. GIT AFAIK, but I can assure you in 758 vs. 3.0 official 3.0 wins by quite a bit speed wise.

@delroth ... Really dude? Almost every comparison I've seen in most games has shown a speed up on older 6xxx revisions compared to 3.0 official. I can run an official benchmark if you really want me to, but it will be a while (I still have like 8 other benchmarks to do for other people lol).
In MOST cases older builds are generally faster. Newer builds typically have optimizations that boost performance in certain games and scenarios but also typically have more code to run. Just because one game runs faster with a certain build doesn't mean that they all will.
(10-09-2012, 11:30 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]In MOST cases older builds are generally faster. Newer builds typically have optimizations that boost performance in certain games and scenarios but also typically have more code to run. Just because one game runs faster with a certain build doesn't mean that they all will.

Yes, which is why I said most in my explanation.
Pages: 1 2