Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Slow speed (?)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi there,
I've recently bought a new laptop with:
Intel core i7-3610qm 3.1ghz
Nvidia GTX 670m 1.5gb
8gb ram
Windows 7 x64
I tried dolphin emulator and I think it doesn't run as well as is should with this specs.
I've tried Mario sunshine, Brawl and Melee and they have some small stutters and I've tried Mario kart wii (80%-100% speed) Sonic Colors (70-95% speed) and Mario Galaxy ~70%-90%)
I don't know if it is because my laptop isn't strong enough but I think that it can run a lot faster since I have seen alot of videos of people with lesser specs that can run all of these games at 100% speed.
Is there something I can do to crank up the speed?
-DeNijt
What do your Dolphin settings look like? You can us these speed settings. MK Wii's performance should drop when adding more human players, but you should do alright for single player. SMG is somewhat demanding even with HLE audio, so I guess small drops are not unexpected.

You should be getting fullspeed with SMS, Brawl, and Sonic Colors though. Brawl is a very lightweight game and SMS isn't particularly demanding (at least not in my tests). For Sonic Colors, try right clicking to game in Dolphin, go to Properties and enable Accurate VBeam emulation. Make sure your laptop isn't using the Intel IGP as well.
(10-08-2012, 04:38 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]What do your Dolphin settings look like? You can us these speed settings. MK Wii's performance should drop when adding more human players, but you should do alright for single player. SMG is somewhat demanding even with HLE audio, so I guess small drops are not unexpected.

You should be getting fullspeed with SMS, Brawl, and Sonic Colors though. Brawl is a very lightweight game and SMS isn't particularly demanding (at least not in my tests). For Sonic Colors, try right clicking to game in Dolphin, go to Properties and enable Accurate VBeam emulation. Make sure your laptop isn't using the Intel IGP as well.

I don't use the IGP, just the gtx.
I've tried enabling Accurate VBeam but it just slowed down the game even more.
General:
I've got dual core and Idle skipping on.

Graphics:
OpenGL
1920x1080
AA 0
AF 1
Scaled EFB Copy
EFB copies to texture
Texture cache: safe (so that the 670m goes out of idle state
External framebuffer disabled
Disable per-pixel depth
And Widescreen hack
Make sure your laptop is going into Turbo Boost properly. When playing, run CPU-Z and see what the reported clock is. Also, try running CoreTemp or RealTemp to make sure your temps aren't too high (and hence making your CPU throttle itself). Lastly, the official 3.0 (just 3.0, no additional numbers) might run some games faster; it's something to try at least.
(10-08-2012, 04:58 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]Make sure your laptop is going into Turbo Boost properly. When playing, run CPU-Z and see what the reported clock is. Also, try running CoreTemp or RealTemp to make sure your temps aren't too high (and hence making your CPU throttle itself). Lastly, the official 3.0 (just 3.0, no additional numbers) might run some games faster; it's something to try at least.

Turbo boost is running perfectly according to CPU-Z and the temperature is around 50C per core (tested in CoreTemp)
Out of curiosity, what clocks did CPU-Z report? Like I said, you should only really expect some slowdowns in SMG and MK Wii with more human players if you're around 3.1 GHz. Everything else ought to run pretty well. Just to be sure you are using HLE audio, correct? If you're turbo boosting and using HLE audio I'm really running out of problem places to look at :p I can only stress that you give 3.0 a try since it seems to be quite a bit faster in a number of titles as opposed to some of the newer experimental Git releases.
(10-08-2012, 05:20 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]Out of curiosity, what clocks did CPU-Z report? Like I said, you should only really expect some slowdowns in SMG and MK Wii with more human players if you're around 3.1 GHz. Everything else ought to run pretty well. Just to be sure you are using HLE audio, correct? If you're turbo boosting and using HLE audio I'm really running out of problem places to look at :p I can only stress that you give 3.0 a try since it seems to be quite a bit faster in a number of titles as opposed to some of the newer experimental Git releases.

Yes, HLE is on.
I will try using the older releases, thanks for your help! Tongue
The clock speeds of all core's are 3.0ghz-3.1ghz.
Why are you using opengl thats your problem.
Use DX9 instead
(10-08-2012, 04:29 AM)DeNijt Wrote: [ -> ]I've tried Mario kart wii (80%-100% speed) Sonic Colors (70-95% speed) and Mario Galaxy ~70%-90%)

I guess these are good performances. You can't expect constant full speed with this CPU
(10-08-2012, 07:54 PM)rpglord Wrote: [ -> ]Why are you using opengl thats your problem.
Use DX9 instead

I've noticed that opengl is a lot faster somehow!
Pages: 1 2