Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin-emulated Wii games' RAM data are in reversed byte-order, is it Wii-native?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

I found that Dolphin-emulated Wii games place their data in RAM in a reversed byte-order.

for example, a number 256, in a PC's RAM, it's stored in this form: 00h, 01h.

but for Dolphin-emulated Wii games, the number 256 is 01h, 00h in RAM, reversed order compared to PC.

for Pcsx2-emulated PS2 games, the byte-order is normal, same as PC.

so I wonder, is this a Wii-native thing or a "feature" caused by Dolphin?
The GC/Wii CPU uses a big endian representation of data.
(10-07-2012, 04:07 PM)delroth Wrote: [ -> ]The GC/Wii CPU uses a big endian representation of data.

That is weird.

I guess that is just one more way to make a system though.
Yeah, all these people writing numbers from left to right are so weird.
(10-07-2012, 04:14 PM)Axxer Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-07-2012, 04:07 PM)delroth Wrote: [ -> ]The GC/Wii CPU uses a big endian representation of data.

That is weird.

I guess that is just one more way to make a system though.
delroth Wrote:Yeah, all these people writing numbers from left to right are so weird.

[Image: 19598.jpg]

*pours iced water over burn*

*gets frostbite*

It's been so long since I took ICT and learned all of this stuff... I need to refresh my memory on this.

EDIT: so my world has been destroyed as I have finally decided to research some into x86 only to learn that it does little-endian instead of big-endian. So my perception of the world of CPU instruction sets has been altered forever.
Haswell is getting Atom's movbe instruction (allows swapping the high and low bits of a long value during a move). Would that be useful here?
If it's faster than mov/bswap then it will definitely be useful. I doubt it will be though, will probably be converted to the same uops internally.
Haswell does have many similar improvements (all the "bitwise operations", or however they call them), though, so perhaps the internal implementations will be improved in some way as well.

edit - I mean the added BMI stuff, but the intel site seems to be impossible to search ...