Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: How am I doing so far? and what can I improve on?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys,

first post, but I did a lot of reading so this is not another tell me how to set everything up thread.

first of all, I have what everybody would consider a weak CPU. However, even with this CPU I have been running everything Gamecube almost perfect with the Exception of Waverace blue storm having a glitch with the rider, and maybe some sound glitches or crackling in other games. I haven't tried any Wii games yet. My settings (most are default):

Backend: Direct3D9
Fullscreen: 1440x900 (My monitor's native resolution)
Aspect Ratio: Stretch to Window
Internal Resolution: 4x Native
Anti-Aliasing: None
Anisotropic Filtering: 16x
Frame Limit: Auto

DSP HLE Emulation
Audio Backend: XAudio2

Some games like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles have MMU Speedhack enabled or else the games will not run.

I have been messing around with enabling Accurate Vbeam but found it mostly slows down my games, and using DSP LLE Recompiler slows my games down too.

I'm pretty happy so far with how all the games are running, and I'm actually very surprised to read all the threads of people not being able to run games with a older CPU like mine.

is there any other settings I should be using and don't know about? and would a better CPU allow me to run games with DSP LLE at full speed?

I guess my main goal would be to get sound 100% even though it's pretty good right now.

any suggestions greatly appreciated

A better CPU would indeed help out quite a bit with LLE. A newer ivy bridge (>3.3GHz) would work very well.
Thanks for the confirmation. I figured LLE would work much better with a good CPU. Looks like I'll research a little more on Ivy Bridge cpus and go for an upgrade. I'm overdue anyway lol

I'm open to any other tips too.
Quote:However, even with this CPU I have been running everything Gamecube almost perfect with the Exception of Waverace blue storm having a glitch with the rider
Wave Race: Blue Storm isn't a particularly demanding game to emulate according to the wiki.
According to a filed issue on Google Code, you should play this game with a single core.
Disable "Enable Dual Core" in Options -> Configure.

Quote:and maybe some sound glitches or crackling in other games. I haven't tried any Wii games yet. My settings (most are default):
Which games? Some games like Xenoblade have serious audio issues.
If you are unable to get fullspeed in a game, you're likely to experience audio distortions if you use HLE.
Thanks I will try it with Single core. The game actually runs perfect just the rider has a glitch where his body flickers. Enabling Accurate Vbeam fixes the glitch but slows down my game too much. Maybe with a better CPU I could have Vbeam enabled and still run the game full speed. I will try single core though and see how that goes.

As for the games I noticed sound glitches, I noticed in Luigi's Mansion a slight static type sound in a few parts of the game but just minor, Mario Kart DD I noticed the music is too low when using LHE but if you use LLE it fixes the problem but sound skips a bit which makes me think a faster CPU could run it full speed with LLE

just other very minor things with sounds and other games but the games are still very playable. I think I'm gonna pickup a Intel I5 3570K 3.4ghz cpu and see how that goes. Time for an overhaul on my pc anyway. New motherboard, DDR3 ram, gonna keep my video card though. Seems to be decent.

Get a decent z77 motherboard to go with that CPU, and also get a decent CPU cooler. If you do that, then you can easily overclock it so you'll be able to run every JIT friendly game at full speed.
(10-08-2012, 05:47 AM)AnyOldName3 Wrote: [ -> ]Get a decent z77 motherboard to go with that CPU, and also get a decent CPU cooler. If you do that, then you can easily overclock it so you'll be able to run every JIT friendly game at full speed.

Thanks for the Z77 suggestion.

I'm looking at a Asus P8Z77-VLK for $129.99 and the i5 3570K 3.4ghz is $229.99

I think this will be a good setup. I noticed DDR3 Ram is dirt cheap too. I can get like 16GB for $99 lol

(10-07-2012, 08:13 PM)Garteal Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Waverace blue storm having a glitch with the rider
Wave Race: Blue Storm isn't a particularly demanding game to emulate according to the wiki.
According to a filed issue on Google Code, you should play this game with a single core.
Disable "Enable Dual Core" in Options -> Configure.

You were right. I tried it with single core and the glitch with the rider is gone. thanks man

I don't know where you live, so this may not apply to you.

If you live in the USA near a micro center, I highly recommend you go there for you mobo and CPU. If you buy an i5 3570K and a Z77 mobo they give you $50 off.

The prices are:
i5 3570K - $189
Mobo - $129 - $50 = $79

That is much cheaper than what you listed.
(10-08-2012, 06:43 AM)Axxer Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know where you live, so this may not apply to you.

If you live in the USA near a micro center, I highly recommend you go there for you mobo and CPU. If you buy an i5 3570K and a Z77 mobo they give you $50 off.

The prices are:
i5 3570K - $189
Mobo - $129 - $50 = $79

That is much cheaper than what you listed.

that is a pretty awesome deal. Unfortunately I'm in Toronto Canada. usually for us over here Canadacomputers.com and Tigerdirect.ca are the cheapest we can get.