Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Fps drops?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I recently bought a new laptop and I'm trying to configure Dolphin in the best way possible. My specs are gtx 660m, CPU i7 3610(2.3 Ghz), 4 gb Ram (that's enought for specs right^^). So im running Super Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart,etc. and they seem playable in about 55-60(61) fps. But in certain parts of the games i get fps drops. For example when something big is happening in SMG the fps drops from 60 to 47-48 which is really annoying.
My questions are: Is this normal for my hardware cause I'm owning the gamecube games and the same should be with Wii games? What can be done about it? AAnd something a bit off-topicSadeven though it's still about hardware ^^) should I buy a wiimote if my specs aren't flawless for Wii emulation. Thanks in advance Smile
Buying a Wiimote won't speed anything up at all.

SMG is expected to slow down in some parts because it is a very demanding game. Your CPU is very good, but not good enough to play SMG full speed in every area even with HLE (afaik).

Mario Kart should run okay in single player, but two players will cause issues.

If you want any detailed help please post settings for Dolphin and the revision you are using.
I know wiimote will not speed up the emulation. What I meant is if my system is not running Dolphin at its full, is it worth to get a wiimote or just stick to the gamepad I have. If the emulation is not perfect then there would be no point of getting a perfect controller right? Or am I wrong?
Here is detailed info on my Dolphin config:
-revision -3.0-775-dirty
-Enabled Dual Core , enabled Idle Skipping, enabled Cheats, enabled JIT recomplier, used panic handler. That's fron Config
For graphics section:
-direct3d9, fullscreen res 640x400, internal 1x, hacks: Ignore format changes, Efb copies to Texture, Texture cashes to fastest, disabled External frame buffer, Disabled fog.
Everything else is left unchecked.
Of course its normal. I get similiar perfomance on i5 2400 desktop cpu.
You should enable "vbeam" for about 10-15% speed up in SMG.
If you disable "idle skipping" also,that speedup will probably be gone,but you will have much better audio when using LLE.
If you use HLE,only enable vbeam and you get nice free speed boost Smile
Also make sure efb copies are set to textures,since this games doesnt require it set to ram

Or,you can set eveything to lowest option and get 70 fps lol. I got that when using starscreams speed settings,dont have the link now,find the topic on the forum
(10-05-2012, 08:09 PM)rpglord Wrote: [ -> ]Of course its normal. I get similiar perfomance on i5 2400 desktop cpu.
You should enable "vbeam" for about 10-15% speed up in SMG.
If you disable "idle skipping" also,that speedup will probably be gone,but you will have much better audio when using LLE.
If you use HLE,only enable vbeam and you get nice free speed boost Smile
Also make sure efb copies are set to textures,since this games doesnt require it set to ram

Or,you can set eveything to lowest option and get 70 fps lol. I got that when using starscreams speed settings,dont have the link now,find the topic on the forum

where is vbeam?
(10-05-2012, 09:05 PM)dobrev_dqd Wrote: [ -> ]where is vbeam?

In your gamelist right click on the game. Go into Properties. Check the option