Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: How well will this work?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys, it's the noob again, and I was just working on an older PC build for a friend, and he wants to know how well he can play Wii games such as Super Smash Bros Brawl, LoZ: TP, LoZ: SS, and Metroid games. Obviously, he will be using dolphin. These are the system specs:
CPU:
Intel Core 2 Extreme Processor X6800 SL9S5
Mobo:
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3L ATX Motherboard Intel P45
GPU:
ATI Radeon HD 5850 (Reference Design)
RAM:
8GB 800MHZ DDR2
I'm sure that the PSU, Case, DVD Drive, and so on don't really matter in this case, but he just wants a general idea of how well this system will perform running these games. They will be ran on a 20" monitor at 1680x1050. So, Terrible-Bad-Okay-Good-Great-Perfect. That's basically all I am asking.

Thanks!!
Most games will run at playble speed if he overclock that CPU 2.93-> 3.4GHz or higher (do at your own risk)
The GPU is powerful enough for 3x Internal Resolution (1080p) or higher
LoZ: SS is very demanding , he will need a much better CPU to play that game or just overclock more (3.8Ghz or higher)
(10-02-2012, 03:12 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Most games will run at playble speed if he overclock that CPU 2.93-> 3.4GHz or higher (do at your own risk)
The GPU is powerful enough for 3x Internal Resolution (1080p) or higher
LoZ: SS is very demanding , he will need a much better CPU to play that game or just overclock more (3.8Ghz or higher)
I can overclock the processor quite easily. The cooler is a Zalman CNPS9900NT, so there shouldn't be any heat problems with that either.. Alright! Thanks a lot for the help. I'll be sure to let him know! :^)
But note: The Metroid games are very demanding. Your CPU won't be able to handle those games @ fullspeed, they'll be playable though. To improve the speed in the Metroid games, try a hashless build and overclock your CPU.
(10-02-2012, 03:23 PM)DefenderX Wrote: [ -> ]But note: The Metroid games are very demanding. Your CPU won't be able to handle those games @ fullspeed, they'll be playable though. To improve the speed in the Metroid games, try a hashless build and overclock your CPU.

If I bring down the video settings a bit, say, no AA, V-Sync, etc.. I'm willing to overclock the CPU to 3.6ghz. The improved graphics are a bit of a bonus, so if I set all of the video settings to normal (what the wii runs at) will the game run at a steady framerate?
(10-02-2012, 03:28 PM)armadaskier4123 Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-02-2012, 03:23 PM)DefenderX Wrote: [ -> ]But note: The Metroid games are very demanding. Your CPU won't be able to handle those games @ fullspeed, they'll be playable though. To improve the speed in the Metroid games, try a hashless build and overclock your CPU.

If I bring down the video settings a bit, say, no AA, V-Sync, etc.. I'm willing to overclock the CPU to 3.6ghz. The improved graphics are a bit of a bonus, so if I set all of the video settings to normal (what the wii runs at) will the game run at a steady framerate?

Unlikely, as admin said, your GPU is good enough for 3xIR, so far you dont go over that you can get decent framerates