Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Problem with dedicated graphics card on laptop
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

WiiX1

Hi,

Im trying to play with my laptop using the dedicated graphics card, but Dolphin seldom recognizes it, and when it does it changes back to the integrated Intel HD Graphics 4000. That way it does run my games but Im sure it would be better with my GeForce GT630M.

I tried manually configuring the Nvidia Control Panel so Dolphin uses it, but as soon as I open a game or open any configuration, it switches back to Intel HD Graphics.

Also, even for the brief moment Dolphin does "see" the Nvidia Card, it doesnt let me set a resolution higher than 1366x768 (even when I connect my 1080p TV on the HDMI port). I know I have played with a desktop computer at 1080p.

Any sugestions?
Do not use Direct3D11 backend , stick with Direct3D9
Btw , Nvidia GT 630M = Nvidia GT 540M (rename) is not capable of running Dolphin in 1080p . I'm not saying it won't run but that resolution is too much for that GPU
Just use Internal Resolution and disable fullscreen mode (Use Alt-Enter to toggle fullscreen), 2.5x IR & noAA & 16xAF are the highest settings you could run

WiiX1

(09-24-2012, 02:35 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Do not use Direct3D11 backend , stick with Direct3D9
Btw , Nvidia GT 630M = Nvidia GT 540M (rename) is not capable of running Dolphin in 1080p . I'm not saying it won't run but that resolution is too much for that GPU
Just use Internal Resolution and disable fullscreen mode (Use Alt-Enter to toggle fullscreen), 2.5x IR & noAA & 16xAF are the highest settings you could run

Thanks, that did the trick.

gyergar

Hi!
I've got the same problem than WiiX1. I tried what you told him about Dx9 and it doesn't work in my laptop. But, curiously, 2 weeks ago, I run Dolphin perfectly and there weren't any problem , so, I can't understand what I did wrong...Thanks for your attention.

Asus N73S - i7 2670qm - Nvidia gt630m 2gb - 4gb ram. Dolphin 3.5 - 269
Try this :
http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-vid...ecognizedp
Make sure you check your CPU temp while Dolphin is running . See if your CPU overheat or not

gyergar

Thanks for your help, Admin89.
But I´ve already tried that and the problem persists. I´ve downloaded Nvidia Inspector and Techpowerup and they show me that everything is alright. GPU's degrees are OK and Mhz too. Dophin is configured for using High Performance Graphics in Nvidia Panel Control. I've installed the latest nvidia drivers...but nothing works. Dolphin stills displays Nvidia gt630 as available, but it switches back to Intel HD graphics when it runs each game.
I don't know what to do... Huh

macdougall0

This is probably a really rare case, but I was having the same situation where dolphin would keep switching back to the integrated graphics chip after starting a game. It turns out that this wasn't the problem at all, it had always done that, I just hadn't noticed. After going into my Nvidia control panel settings and switching the dolphin executable to always run with my dedicated graphics card, the problem went away, no matter the settings in dolphin itself.

But later that same day, I ran dolphin again, but was getting about half the performance as before, with a fps ranging from 20-30, when I was getting consistently 55-60 with 97-100% speed of the emulation. After a lot of tweaking with the graphics settings, it turns out that this wasn't the problem at all. After getting extremely frustrated, I took my laptop into the other room, and almost MAGICALLY the game started to run perfectly like before!!!

Turns out that it was my power cord for some weird reason. I have two; the one I was using wasn't 'compatible' with my laptop, and was causing the game to run slowly for some reason. The other one that I got with my computer doesn't have this problem. I know this is probably an extremely rare situation, but hopefully this helps someone out. After nearly hours of frustration, it ends up being the power cord...
It was better to create your own thread...
Please make your own thread, the OP here isn't around any more.