Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: (suggestion) optimize how dolphin works?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Quote:if i can upgrade sometime, i was thinking on a core i7 + ddr5 or higher + intel motherboard + nividia highest graphics card possible and so on.
Lol , i7 means nothing without the model number behind it
For example :
i5 3570k beats i7 2600k
i5 2500k beats i7 960
Pentium G860 beats my i5 480M
i3 2120 beats i5 661
and so on ...
(I'm only talking about dolphin)
Quote:anyways, once dolphin its 100% compatible with 100% of all the GC/WII titles
Not possible ...ever...
You clearly don't understand the difference between emulation and real console
OLC Wrote:i mean as previously said, i am not asking to run games in real time on a pentium 4 computer, a core 2 duo should suffice at least for GC games, agreed that WII games are pretty heavy and need more resources to run.

Wii games aren't necessarily any more difficult to emulate than GC games. Some GC games demand more from your GPU than some Wii games, and some GC games are very CPU intensive. Every game is different. New Super Mario Bros., for example, is less demanding than most GC games. How demanding a game is depends on the original game code (from the disc image Dolphin reads) and how Dolphin translates that into instructions your computer can understand.

admin89 Wrote:Not possible ...ever...

Impossible? No. Highly unlikely? Yes. It's the difference between possibility and probablity. You can, in theory at least, emulate GC/Wii hardware 100% through software alone, the chances of that happening are not high.
I've never seen a perfect emulator that work with all games without any issue yet but he could keep dreaming lol
Why Perfect Hardware SNES Emulation Requires a 3GHz CPU
Just because there isn't one, or you haven't seen one, says nothing about whether a perfect emulator can actually be made. That only tells us no ones achieved it yet, not that it's unachievable Wink

Btw, I think I remember seeing that article on Ars Technica. The author of bsnes has some other (but somewhat old) articles about emulation on his site. Those might be of interest to the OP as well, iirc. Understanding how emulation works would give you a better idea of how Dolphin can and can't be improved.
(09-14-2012, 11:47 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]I've never seen a perfect emulator that work with all games without any issue yet but he could keep dreaming lol
Why Perfect Hardware SNES Emulation Requires a 3GHz CPU

Absolutely. Even 8/16-bit systems are not perfectly emulated so imagine 128-bit systems...
i dont see the point in this thread really, if you want to play your game so bad you dont need a super computer, you need a wii.
you need 1 to play dolphin legaly to begin with so why complain?
(09-15-2012, 12:37 AM)warweenyv1.0 Wrote: [ -> ]you need 1 to play dolphin legaly to begin with so why complain?

No, you don't need a own a Wii or a GC to use Dolphin, not here in the U.S. at least. Unlike PCSX2, which you need the BIOS to run, hence a real machine, Dolphin uses HLE for this. You can rip discs with a proper DVD drive and RawDump. You bought the disc, Nintendo can only tell you what to do as far as copyrights are concerned, and making disk copies to play in an emulator has been taken to court before and proven legal (much to Sony's dismay). Consequently, you can play PS1 games without ever having owned the system (as long as the emulator HLEs the BIOS like PCSXR).
(09-15-2012, 01:18 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-15-2012, 12:37 AM)warweenyv1.0 Wrote: [ -> ]you need 1 to play dolphin legaly to begin with so why complain?

No, you don't need a own a Wii or a GC to use Dolphin, not here in the U.S. at least. Unlike PCSX2, which you need the BIOS to run, hence a real machine, Dolphin uses HLE for this. You can rip discs with a proper DVD drive and RawDump. You bought the disc, Nintendo can only tell you what to do as far as copyrights are concerned, and making disk copies to play in an emulator has been taken to court before and proven legal (much to Sony's dismay). Consequently, you can play PS1 games without ever having owned the system (as long as the emulator HLEs the BIOS like PCSXR).

wel...l thats stupid lol
Quote:ddr5 or higher

Where did you get your time machine from? I want one too.

Quote:if i can upgrade sometime, i was thinking on a core i7 + ddr5 or higher + intel motherboard + nividia highest graphics card possible and so on.
i prefer to have HUGE resources so my computer lasts longer without the need to upgrade it to.

The problem with this logic is that high end cpus, gpus, memory, etc. are usually only slightly faster then mid range hardware yet cost several times as much. Meanwhile the performance per dollar of hardware in all price ranges significantly increases each year (often even doubling). So in reality the most you can extend the lifespan of your PC by buying top of the line hardware is maybe 1 year, and it costs several times as much to do it. It's cheaper to upgrade the system more often with mid range parts and you wind up with a better system throughout the majority of the hardware's lifespan.

Quote:anyways, once dolphin its 100% compatible with 100% of all the GC/WII titles, i guess a total and new code should be done, to remove anything obsolete.

That will never happen. We still don't have 100% compatibility with any N64 or SNES emulator.

Quote:since every thing obsolete might clash with new items, and cause a normal slowdown.

Usually newer systems either completely replace the old code or are added as options allowing you to choose between using the older code or the newer code (usually the former).
It may be possible to have a HLE'd 100% accuracy if we eventually give up and Statically recompile bits we can't fix, although that wouldn't be ideal, as it wouldn't reach the point where dolphin would do exactly what the wii would do if the same software was in it, for example if homebrew required the function we'd worked around.
Pages: 1 2 3