Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: What processor should I get?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Going to get a new computer built pretty soon via a friend. I am hoping to emulate Last Story and Xenoblade at full speed(Or near it most of the time spent playing them), which processor should I get?
Do note that if at all possible I don't want to overclock, at all. Is it possible to play these without doing so?
Quote:I don't want to overclock, at all. Is it possible to play these without doing so?

No. To play these games at full speed with eventually LLE you'll need to overclock

Quote:which processor should I get?

i5 2500k/i5 3570k are the best choices
welp, is it possible to get playable speeds at least? Perhaps by lowering resolution or something similar?
Quote:is it possible to get playable speeds at least?

Depends which processor. But yeah these games can be "playable" (if you can live without LLE for example). TLS being more demanding so less easily playable than Xenoblade though
I will most likely go for the 3570k. Well, I can live with not playing Last Story I guess, how about Rune Factory Tides of Destiny, Zelda Twilight Princess, Wind Waker and Skyward Sword? Those are the games I want to play the most. And, welp, I suppose I may go the overclock route, I want to play them really bad ;_;

So yeah, going a bit offtopic here: Best method to overclock and precautions, or should I just make another topic for that or something? <<;
The i5-3570k can be easily overclocked through the multiplier Wink You just need a good CPU cooler. (and a Z77 MoBo)
Oh god I am not too knowledgeable about these things and overclocking ;_; Well, I can google overclocking so I guess that won't be a problem, but is there any particular cooler you would recommend? I have no idea how to look up stuff in that area >>;
If you can afford it, a corsair h-series will be more than sufficient. I have no idea when it comes to air cooling, though.

Also, overclocking isn't hard with a 3570K. Just up the multiplier, and test it. It won't work. Next you slowly increase the voltage until it is stable, but no more. As long as the cooler and Mobo are good enough, it's more or less that simple.
Noctua and Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo are good choices. I have the 212 and it works fine for me; temps don't go above 70C when playing Dolphin. The Noctua cooler some users have is way better though.
Quote:Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

Be careful with those 212s, some of the ones with "212" in the name suck. Whatever you do, make sure you do your homework before buying a cooler. http://www.frostytech.com/
Pages: 1 2