Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: HP Envy Laptop, decent for Wii games?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Thinking about getting a top of the line HP Envy Laptop. Below are the spec's but I'm not sure about the graphics card.

Operating system - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Processor - 3rd generation Intel® Core™ i7-3720QM Processor (2.6 GHz, 6MB L3 Cache) boosts up to 3.4 ghz
Memory - 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
Hard drive - 1TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
Graphics card - Radeon™ HD 7850M Graphics 1GB GDDR5 Memory [HDMI, DP]

Thanks for any insight.
What games do you want to play specifically?
(09-10-2012, 08:10 AM)Axxer Wrote: [ -> ]What games do you want to play specifically?

All of them? As many as possible, tbh. But mainly Zelda SS, Wii games in general though. I just modded my wii and im planning on getting a retarded sized HD for game storage.

I guess I should have asked... what kind of system do you need to crush games on Dolphin like a soft pink cookie? Is a 3.4 ghz i7 and 16 gig of RAM with a decent graphics card not enough? I mean I see people with 4 ghz+ processors but people who build Skynet to play emulators on don't live on earth, meaning there probably devs or just have to much money to spend. Realistically current tech is sitting at 3.6 ghz in most home and gaming PC's I've seen (that can be afforded without mortgaging your house).
The HD7850M is a good laptop GPU, you'll definitely be able to play games at 1080p.
As long as your laptop doesn't overheat I think Skyward Sword should be fine most of the time.

Some games are much more demanding than others, eg Super Mario Galaxy and The Last Story, which can currently only be played with no bugs on a CPU like mine at 4.2 GHz minimum. Laptops just simply can't do those games.

Most games should be fine on that laptop's CPU if it doesn't overheat.
As said above, it would play the majority of games very well as long as you could keep it cool enough for it to stay boosted to 3.4GHz.

I'm not sure if it's actually built well enough to accomplish that, though. Given the software that's bundled with it (going by HP's site), I assume it's intended to be used as a multimedia laptop rather than a pure gaming rig.

(09-10-2012, 08:14 AM)Muriel Wrote: [ -> ]I guess I should have asked... what kind of system do you need to crush games on Dolphin like a soft pink cookie? Is a 3.4 ghz i7 and 16 gig of RAM with a decent graphics card not enough? I mean I see people with 4 ghz+ processors but people who build Skynet to play emulators on don't live on earth, meaning there probably devs or just have to much money to spend. Realistically current tech is sitting at 3.6 ghz in most home and gaming PC's I've seen (that can be afforded without mortgaging your house).
Just FYI: you can build one of those "Skynet" PCs for about $500 less than what you would pay for that laptop. =P

Just for the heck of it, I went to CyberPower and entered something into the configurator that would "crush games on Dolphin like a soft pink cookie."

Case: Corsair Carbide 300R
CPU: i5-3570K
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-Z77-D3H
RAM: Patriot Viper 3 Intel Extreme Masters 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 660 Ti (was only $47 more than a 560 Ti because of some sale they're having)
Power Supply: 500W Corsair CX500 V2 80 Plus Certified
Hard Drive: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Comes to $1,177 w/shipping (-$30 in mail-in rebates). Keep in mind that it would also be cheaper if you ordered the parts individually and put it together yourself.

You should be able to overclock that CPU to at least 4GHz on that cooler, and the graphics card is much more powerful than the one on that laptop.
(09-10-2012, 08:07 AM)Muriel Wrote: [ -> ]Thinking about getting a top of the line HP Envy Laptop. Below are the spec's but I'm not sure about the graphics card.

Operating system - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Processor - 3rd generation Intel® Core™ i7-3720QM Processor (2.6 GHz, 6MB L3 Cache) boosts up to 3.4 ghz
Memory - 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
Hard drive - 1TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
Graphics card - Radeon™ HD 7850M Graphics 1GB GDDR5 Memory [HDMI, DP]

Thanks for any insight.

The CPU is pretty strong for a mobile CPU. Anyway, just make sure, that your laptops doesn't overheat (check temps with CoreTemp). HP Envy is afaik a multimedia notebook and no gaming notebook.