Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Baten Kaitos Eternal Wings [...]. Random crashes and slowdowns, etc.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm trying to play this game on the latest version of dolphin right now(765, and I also tested on the 3.0 stable version) and it has a nice set of problems:
1. Game crashes when scrolling through the Magnus menu while selling or buying in stores. On the latest version, the game stops but the music keeps playing. I can load a save state too, but there is no way to unblock the game once it happens. On the 3.0 version dolphin crashes completely with a "has stopped working" windows message.

2. After a while of playing, entering any menu with the cards causes a massive slowdown, 2-3 FPS. I usually notice it after a battle is over and I get the chance to get some Magnus. When it happens, every card related menu slows down. The only way I know of to make it go away is to make a savestate and restart the emulator.

3. The sound in the intro cinematic (and I assume every other CG cinematic) has broken sound. Stragely enough, the sound is ok in the 3.0 version of Dolphin.

4. The game has random crashes too when walking around and when coming out of battles.

Other than that, it works perfectly, so it's a shame that these problems pop up from time to time. Is there any way to fix them? Any build of the emulator that is perfectly compatible with this game? I really want to play it again.

System is Win7 x64, Q9550 processor, 560Ti, 4Gb of Ram, Dolphin latest and 3.0, x64 versions.
Try the latest revision first.

http://dolphin-emu.org/download/
(09-07-2012, 03:54 AM)Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]Try the latest revision first.

http://dolphin-emu.org/download/

Thanks for your response, but I made a mistake. I wasn't using 703 but 765 for this game, which is the latest. 703 was a typo.
Quote:The game has random crashes too when walking around and when coming out of battles

As you said these are random crashes. You can't do anything

Quote:Any build of the emulator that is perfectly compatible with this game?

Dolphin 3.0 is just fine but not perfect as you could notice
Problem 1 is a known bug with photo magnus: http://code.google.com/p/dolphin-emu/iss...n%20kaitos

Problem 2: could you try the OpenGL graphics backend?

Problem 3: I suspect an aram-dma-fixes regression (again). Starting to think this merge should be reverted and re-merged after the next stable release...

Problem 4: what kind of crashes? Freeze or "Dolphin has stopped working"?

greglo

Hi

I passed the game with 3.0 - 323.

Start cutscene is always broken I think, and there are some glitches regarding reflections in the game. Very few crashes. Maybe 10 through the whole 80 hours; at least I don't recall it being a big problem.

Try using OpenGL and 'fast' texture cache, it solved some problems for me.

greglo Smile
I have been playing it a lot these days, and I can confirm that crashes and post battle slowdowns are less likely to happen using OpenGL. In fact, I didn't get a single slowdown, and just one crash that happened most probably because I changed an emulator setting mid game.

Using single core mode fixes the crashes in stores, so when I need to shop I make a save state, close the game, disable dual core, shop, then revert to dual core mode when I'm done. By the way, the shop crashing happens even if I browse the list with no photo magnus.

The only weird thing is the sound in the starting cutscene, on 3.0 it sounds perfect but in the latest revisions it's totally broken. I honestly don't remember if there are other CG cutscenes in this game though.

I guess this solved my problems with this game. Heart

Aileesan

I am still having problems with Baten Kaitos and random glitches with Magnus. So far, they only occur on photographs. I am currently using 3.5-412, which was recommended here to fix said magnus issue.
I beat this game a few months ago with 3.5 (OpenGL and LLE) without issue. The only bug left that I know of is that it will randomly crash if you try to SELL picture magnus. Is this what you are referring to? If so, to my knowledge, it still isnt fixed.

Aileesan

(04-02-2013, 11:53 PM)haddockd Wrote: [ -> ]I beat this game a few months ago with 3.5 (OpenGL and LLE) without issue. The only bug left that I know of is that it will randomly crash if you try to SELL picture magnus. Is this what you are referring to? If so, to my knowledge, it still isnt fixed.

It's not just selling magnus, it occurs also on loot screens for battles or when I go through my inventory. I get both freezes and crashes, but either way, the game quits or needs to be restarted.
Pages: 1 2