Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: i7 CPU Turbo
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, so here I am, another (un)fortunate soul with an i7 720Q 1.60GHz Clarksfield...

Thing is, Turbo boost does in fact NOT enable when using Dolphin :-(
I have tried to set affinity, I got a laptop so OC is not an option.
Whenever I emulate a game in Dolphin, the clock speed drops to 1.73(according to Intel's Turbo Boost Monitor) and to 1.73 (according to CPU-Z).
My CPU seems to think that Turbo boost is a good idea for ANYTHING EXCEPT Dolphin :-( (It even Turbo'es with PCSX2)
I have tried with and without the Lock thread to cores option, I have tried both 3.0 stable and 3.0.764-dirty developement version, I don't really know what there is left to try, I know for sure that it is not overheating, since once Dolphin is closed, it turbo'es up. Only when Dolphin is in use it drops to 1.73, EVERYTHING else gets turboed :-( Even spotify!
Quote:I know for sure that it is not overheating, since once Dolphin is closed, it turbo'es up.

That's a poor conclusion to draw considering that's exactly what would happen if it were overheating.

Check your temps while playing a game with dolphin and make sure.
i7 720QM @ 1.6GHz turbo boost :
_1.73GHz (3-4 cores)
_2.4GHz (2 cores)
_2.8GHz (1 core )
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i7/In...20QM).html
It will never reach 2.8GHz because dolphin use 2 cores
If you have "LLE on thread" option enabled , dolphin will use 3 cores -> That's why it stay at 1.73GHz
Or if your CPU is overheating , turbo boost will be disabled
(09-05-2012, 10:33 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]i7 720QM @ 1.6GHz turbo boost :
_1.73GHz (3-4 cores)
_2.4GHz (2 cores)
_2.8GHz (1 core )
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i7/In...20QM).html
It will never reach 2.8GHz because dolphin use 2 cores
If you have "LLE on thread" option enabled , dolphin will use 3 cores -> That's why it stay at 1.73GHz
Or if your CPU is overheating , turbo boost will be disabled
Well, I know for sure it isnt overheating, Speccy says so. Anyways, thanks, so if I disable LLE on thread, Dolphin should only use 2, wich means boost, right?
Exactly.
(09-10-2012, 06:01 PM)DefenderX Wrote: [ -> ]Exactly.

Thanks for all answers, now off to test if 3 or 2 cores is best!
Quote:Well, I know for sure it isnt overheating, Speccy says so.
You still haven't told us what your temps are. It's been asked in both threads you've created. Don't use Speccy for CPU temps, use CoreTemp.
It's very likely to overheat, especially if you're on a (cheap) laptop.
Dolphin really pushes your CPU more than most applications, so therefore your temps will be higher than normal usage.
is there something you can do about the hot temperatures on high end multimedia laptops? (ASUS)
Multimedia laptop cooling solution is not even close to gaming laptop's , high end or not
Gaming laptop has dual fan placed on the back of it , 1 for CPU and 1 for GPU -> Heavy weight
Multimedia has only 1 fan -> Light weight
[Image: ASUS-G75VW-Review.jpg]
If the laptop overheat , you'll have to reapply (aftermarket) thermal compound and maybe ...mod your laptop . Cooling Pad won't help much

But by the time you've gone to that effort, it may well be worth buying a desktop PC for heavy gaming and emulation. However, this does involve you spending money.