Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Buying a laptop, what CPU should I get?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all,

I was active here a few years back, but I guess my account got pruned from lack of activity.

Anyway, I'm working in Guatemala right now and want to pick up a super awesome gaming laptop during my week back in the states. I'm on a limited budget so I'll be craigslisting this, but as I live in LA Craigslist is ever plentiful with cheap laptops.

My question is what CPU (i7 but which?) and GPU should I be shooting for if I want to run the following games:

Mario Galaxy 1/2
Twilight Princess Wii
Wind Waker
Mario Sunshine
Smash Bros. Brawl
Mario Kart Wii
New Super Mario Bros Wii
(any game recomendations?)

Thanks!
Budget ?
Gaming Laptop cost alot more than desktop
SMG 1 & 2 need sth like this :
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Digital...17273.html
Too expensive ? Build a gaming desktop for only 700-800$
Btw , Laptop cooling is bad (especially those cheap laptop) . If the CPU overheat , Dolphin will run like slow-motion movie
Good Laptop with good cooling ussually cost around 1200-3xxx$
a 1000 more or less. I'm pretty good at haggling so we can call it 1200 on CL
Getting a good laptop on CL in a highly populated city costs quite a bit less
For instance:
i7-2670QM with a GeForce GT 555M would run be about $750.

If you can throw some cpu's out there I can probably make them fit into my budget providing they aren't cutting edge just released yesterday madness.
You're going to need the very latest and most expensive laptop hardware to run those games well. i5-3xxx Ivy Bridge and a GTX GPU.
Quote:i7-2670QM with a GeForce GT 555M would run be about $750
It's not a gaming laptop . It's multimedia laptop
You can play pc game on it but it will overheat with dolphin
it's a pricing example. If someone could give me some specific CPU models to hone my search, I can deal with pricing. Let's not worry about pricing, you'd be surprised what one capable of negotiation can come across.

What CPU's should I be looking for? Specific models.
Best Gaming Laptop (IMO) : Asus G55vw or Asus G75vw
(09-02-2012, 01:57 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Best Gaming Laptop (IMO) : Asus G55vw or Asus G75vw

Found one with an identical CPU and GPU to the G55vw for 1000 Big Grin (and that's before I talk him down to 900 Wink). That's what I'm talkin bout. But really, what specific CPU's should one focus on?
(09-02-2012, 01:56 AM)jasonridesabike Wrote: [ -> ]What CPU's should I be looking for? Specific models.

Here are some really fast Ivy Bridge Quadcore CPUs.

* i7-3720QM (really fast mobile Intel CPU)
* i7-3820QM (slightly faster than the 3720QM)
* i7-3920XM (fastest mobile Intel CPU! Overclock is possible!)
(09-02-2012, 02:02 AM)DefenderX Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-02-2012, 01:56 AM)jasonridesabike Wrote: [ -> ]What CPU's should I be looking for? Specific models.

* i7-3820QM (really fast mobile Intel CPU)
* i7-3920XM (fastes mobile Intel CPU!)

I imagine I should focus my search on dual cores as it's all dolphin will take advantage of correct? I don't need to pay for 2 extra cores that I'm unlikely to take full advantage of.
Pages: 1 2