Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: How High Can Dolphin Settings Go?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
PC Specs:

Case: NZXT Phantom 410
Motherboard: MSI Z77a-G43
CPU: Intel Quad Core i5 3570
Memory: DDR3 1600 Corsair Vengeance 2 x 4GB RAM
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 SE
PSU: CoolerMaster 600W
Hard Drive: Seagate 500GB 7200 RPM
Operating System: Windows-7 Ultimate x64
Dolphin Revision: Dolphin 3.0 x64

So, how high can my dolphin settings go while running smoothly?
Quote:Don't list your specs and then run off. Listing your specs (PC hardware information) and then asking what speeds you should expect would not be a valid post. Other things are needed from you, like exactly which games you want to play and what level of graphic detail you want or expect. Depending on the game, full-speed can be achieved on an average PC or the game could need a PC that is very powerful. It's not a simple all yes or all no answer (unless your PC is really outdated), so give more details when you post.

Please try to be a little more specific about what "settings" you're talking about. Internal Resolution? Anti-Aliasing? LLE Audio? Also, which games do you have in mind?

The GTX 560 SE should be able to handle 4x Internal Resolution, and probably some amounts of AA (not too much, though at those resolutions, aliasing shouldn't be a big issue). Only on ridiculous settings would your GPU become the bottleneck on your system, everything else will be fine. Most any modern GPU can easily handle 16x Anisotropic Filtering, so you might as well set that to the max.

Is your i5 a 3750 or a 3750K? The 3750K can overclock quite a bit, and it's currently one of the best options for Dolphin. Many games that need LLE audio also need an overclocked CPU to run without slowdowns. The 3750 (non K version) should do alright for some (Tales of Symphonia, Skies of Arcadia), but others (the Super Mario Galaxy games) will need the power of a 3750K. Most games that run fine with HLE audio will do well with a 3750 though. Can't help you any more without some specific games you're looking to play.
No, its just the 3570. Also, I'm talking about all settings. As for games, I would say Zelda games and maybe super smash bros brawl.
(08-30-2012, 03:31 PM)irzekk Wrote: [ -> ]No, its just the 3570. Also, I'm talking about all settings. As for games, I would say Zelda games and maybe super smash bros brawl.

Well, I already answered your question as it relates to graphical settings, almost anyway. You can enable things like Scaled EFB Copy and Per-Pixel Lighting. I'd leave Force Texture Filtering off unless you find it improves or enhances something. It seems to break some textures in certain games (the text in Tales of Symphonia comes to my mind). Some games need EFB Copies set to RAM; this is more accurate and I think Wind Waker and Twilight Princess have issues that are solved with EFB Copies set to RAM. Check out the wikis here and here. I think you should be able to handle it with your CPU.

For LLE audio, I think it should be quite doable in the Zelda games, and it's sometimes required for Wind Waker (LLE audio solves a number of freezing issues, apparently). SSBB is a very light game as far as Dolphin is concerned, you shouldn't have any problems running LLE on that game (if you get the DSP files though, judging from your other thread in Support).

Though aside from the level of graphical detail and LLE audio, there's not much else you can "set to the max" for Dolphin. Maybe just the Audio Sample rate, but that's it Big Grin
You are a good man..helping out a rash noob like me
Big Grin ty!

as for the LLE, I shall try that method if I find a wii to do it on, but until then, i will only use the DSP while playing zelda games seeing as i just tried it and it completely removed audio from ssbb.
Noob or not, helping people is my job (I also kinda moderate the forums too, kinda...) I'm just glad I was able to help a new Dolphin user. Enjoy the emulator Smile
Big GrinBig GrinDBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinD::