Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: FX-8120 Game Tests
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
If anyone is looking to get a FX-8120 overclocking is essential. It will run most games full speed without major frame drops. Of course some revisions do perform better with certain games with the right settings, so if you use the right ones you won't really get any frame drops. Version 3.0 seems best for more than half of the games I tested.

[attachment=8155]
[attachment=8154]
[attachment=8151]
[attachment=8152]
[attachment=8153]
I'm sure many games play just fine with that processor, but in general no one is looking to buy that CPU. For the same money, you can buy a much better Intel CPU.

If you're going to do some tests, test with the most demanding games and post as much detailed information as you can.
(08-30-2012, 08:11 AM)Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]I'm sure many games play just fine with that processor, but in general no one is looking to buy that CPU. For the same money, you can buy a much better Intel CPU.

If you're going to do some tests, test with the most demanding games and post as much detailed information as you can.

I got my processor and motherboard for $150 total. So in my case Intel was a more expensive route.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq4jr22XA...e=youtu.be

How's this game perform on other systems? Must be on a 6-man match. I'm honestly not convinced any processor can run this game full speed. The only videos I can find are 1 vs 1 matches. So someone prove me wrong please!

I show the configuration in video.
FX-8120 @ 4.5ghz, HD 4890 GPU.

Here's another demanding game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MknyFfxFf...e=youtu.be

Configuration is the same as the WWE 12 video above.
How much faster does this game run on Intel?
(08-30-2012, 10:48 AM)wizardsmagic007 Wrote: [ -> ]I got my processor and motherboard for $150 total. So in my case Intel was a more expensive route.

Starscream's point still remains pretty valid. You probably could have gotten the same or better results by going Intel. They have some pretty good chips between $80~$100 (mostly i3s and Sandy Bridge Pentiums) that do pretty good for Dolphin. That leaves plenty of money for a low-cost motherboard (like the ASRock H61). Though good overclocking is out of the question with either the CPU or mobo in this case, it'd still do pretty well with Dolphin for around the same price. NaturalViolence's Dolphin CPU Hierarchy thread is good reading if you're interesting in learning some more about the matter.

(08-30-2012, 10:48 AM)wizardsmagic007 Wrote: [ -> ]How's this game perform on other systems? Must be on a 6-man match. I'm honestly not convinced any processor can run this game full speed. The only videos I can find are 1 vs 1 matches. So someone prove me wrong please!

I'm willing to bet an i5-3750K OCed to 4.2+ GHz would rip through that game. If you can't run a game in Dolphin on an OCed i5-3750K without speed issues, people generally assume it can't be run fullspeed on today's hardware. This CPU is top-tier for Dolphin.

(08-30-2012, 10:48 AM)wizardsmagic007 Wrote: [ -> ]How much faster does this game run on Intel?

Lots, I'm willing to bet, especially if it's a properly OCed "K" CPU (2500K, 2600K, 3570K, 3770K.
Quote:I'm honestly not convinced any processor can run this game (WWE 12) full speed
Seriously , not again
i3/i5 1st gen @ 3.8GHz or i5 2nd gen @ 3.6GHz will run it fullspeed
In case you didn't know or don't want to listen anyway :
Benchmark
Phenom II outperform FX-series for the same clock speed . i3 2100 (stock) rape the heavy OC FX-8120
We have had a bunch of bulldozer threads already . I hope you're not the same guy as the one in this thread http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/showthread...ht=FX-8120
Piledriver will be a good match for Sandy Bridge or even better than SB, Bulldozer was not
About Brave,its currently one of the rare games which can't be run on today's hardware !
Why ?
Because its pretty demanding,like last story ( maybe you can get few fps more )
BUT big problem is that unlike last story this game needs 60 fps for fullspeed.
This is devastating combo lol.
I dont see this game running fullspeed even on 5 ghz ivy bridge because I got like 25 fps on lowest settings on i5 2400 with hle !
Luckily there are not much games like this.
Each game which needs 60 fps like for example SMG or Metroid is much less demanding
admin89 Wrote:Piledriver will be a good match for Sandy Bridge

Don't make me laugh. A 20% increase in single threaded performance over bulldozer is not enough to allow it to compete with sandy bridge in single threaded applications.
(08-30-2012, 05:18 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:I'm honestly not convinced any processor can run this game (WWE 12) full speed
Seriously , not again
i3/i5 1st gen @ 3.8GHz or i5 2nd gen @ 3.6GHz will run it fullspeed
In case you didn't know or don't want to listen anyway :
Benchmark
Phenom II outperform FX-series for the same clock speed . i3 2100 (stock) rape the heavy OC FX-8120
We have had a bunch of bulldozer threads already . I hope you're not the same guy as the one in this thread http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/showthread...ht=FX-8120
Piledriver will be a good match for Sandy Bridge or even better than SB, Bulldozer was not

I'm talking about a 6-man match, there's no videos around except the one I uploaded. So don't tell me you know when there's no proof. Go to youtube and see how poorly Mario Party 9 runs on a i5 2320 while my FX-8120 runs it full speed. Oh and that processor cost $40 more. Also I upgraded from a Phenom II x4 and the FX is much faster and overclocks much better.
(08-30-2012, 07:45 PM)rpglord Wrote: [ -> ]About Brave,its currently one of the rare games which can't be run on today's hardware !
Why ?
Because its pretty demanding,like last story ( maybe you can get few fps more )
BUT big problem is that unlike last story this game needs 60 fps for fullspeed.
This is devastating combo lol.
I dont see this game running fullspeed even on 5 ghz ivy bridge because I got like 25 fps on lowest settings on i5 2400 with hle !
Luckily there are not much games like this.
Each game which needs 60 fps like for example SMG or Metroid is much less demanding

See, that was my point, it also stands for WWE 12 in a 6-man match. People sit here telling me that even an i3 can run a 6 man match full speed but no one has proved it.
Different Setting -> Different Speed
And if that i5 does not pair with decent graphic card ... you know what will happen right ?
Intel HD 3000 is no good for gaming whatsoever
Quote: People sit here telling me that even an i3 can run a 6 man match full speed but no one has proved it.
Don't force yourself on others . Not all people around the world have time to spare for that
They will do if they want to
People using Dolphin on Youtube doesn't prove much. People use different builds and settings and have different hardware.
Pages: 1 2