Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Windows 7 Plugin Error
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Trigononamous

I'm dual-booting 7 and Vista - both 64 bit, and just downloaded version 3661. When I run it in Vista everything is fine, but in 7 the Pad and Wiimote plugins are not recognized. The drop-down menus are completely blank.

I'll note two things here
- This and all old version worked fine on Vista
- This and all old versions have the same problem on 7

When starting up a game I am told the Pad plugins cannot be read, and then told the core could not be initiated. I planned on having everything moved off of my Vista drive by the end of the week, but if the problem cannot be solved I might just keep it around longer than that.
very strange, I also use windows 7 64bit. I have no issues.

Trigononamous

(07-07-2009, 11:54 AM)Chaoscode Wrote: [ -> ]very strange, I also use windows 7 64bit. I have no issues.

I've updated my signature to give you a better idea of what kind of rig I'm running - If you can get it to run properly I don't understand why I can't. I don't think it would be any setting in Dolphin itself. Like I just said, it was like that when I unzipped it, and it's like that with all old version.

To note, all my drivers are up to date, and all the important downloads in Windows Update have been installed. I have no clue what I'm doing wrong.

Greg

May want to try updating DirectX
(07-07-2009, 12:44 PM)Greg Wrote: [ -> ]May want to try updating DirectX

This..

It's also helps to search as well as read the associated stickies and faqs posted at the top of every forum before posting, such as the requirements thread.

As any new out of the box version of Windows, it only comes with a very basic version of the DirectX runtimes.

Since Dolphin only utilizes DirectX 9, you'll have to update your DX9 runtimes to the latest bi-monthly release using the web updater or downloading the full redistributable package.

The operating system having DX10 or DX11 is irrelevant, because as mentioned Dolphin only utilizes DX9.

Also some games that utilize DX9/DX10 won't run on an out of the box version of Vista/7 since the game requires libraries and dll files that aren't present in the basic version of the DirectX runtimes on a fresh install of XP/Vista/7.

Trigononamous

Yup, it was DirectX! So sorry about wasting everyone's time like this, but it hadn't even occurred to me since I'm normally so up to date. I guess I was so focused on getting everything moved over to 7 I didn't realize the solution could have been something simple like that.

Thanks for all the help, and serious respect towards everyone who's working on Dolphin!

Zulithe

Thanks for the tip... I'm about to install 7 when it goes RTM (I pre-ordered it as well, but don't want to wait till October >Smile) You'd think MS would include as many common DLLs as possible to avoid these sorts of issues.

Does this same rule apply to things like the VC++ Redist DLLs?
Yes, all required software is the same