Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Klonoa bloom issue?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Klonoa is probably the least problematic game I've played so far but I noticed that the bloom (actually I don't think it's a bloom effect, I'm talking about the aura that appears around everything in the game) appears choppy. See image below.

[Image: R96_EAF_2.png]

Disabling 'Scaled EFB copy' fixed the issue but gave everything it was around horrible aliasing, see below.

[Image: R96_EAF_1.png]

Cranking up the AA did not have an effect and it is the same across all backends.
Are you using efb copy to ram or efb copy to texture (I'm guessing efb copy to texture but I want to be sure)?
Yes, texture. Copy to ram has no effect in this case
Quote:I'm talking about the aura that appears around everything in the game) appears choppy

These images are at a very low resolution so I can't really see what you're talking about.

But I'm guessing you're talking about the bloom offset issue. This is an unavoidable issue in some games when using scaled efb copies. The scaled efb copies option allows dolphin to generate efb copies that have a higher resolution than the game is supposed to. This improves the image quality of post-processing effects but can screw up some shaders that certain games use. Since the efb copies are generated at the proper low resolution with scaled efb copy turned off you see aliasing. SSAA/MSAA will not effect any aliasing in the efb copies if scaled efb copy is turned off.

Did you try all three video backends to confirm that the issue exists in all of them?
Here's the first image, you can see the effect on the background trees, the door, wooden poles and to a lesser extent on klonoa and the bird to the right.
http://postimage.org/image/wf737do7n/full/

Scaling EFB copy turned off results in this:
http://postimage.org/image/pap9ycgyb/full/

Notice the aliasing-like effect and the top half of Klonoa becoming pixelated, that happens at random as you move.

This is the same over all 3 backends.
I see it now. It's not a bloom offset but it is an issue with the scaler. I'm sorry but the only way to fix something like that is to turn off efb scaled copy, which will reduce image quality. You could use FXAA to get rid of the aliasing though. Since you have a GTX 670 graphics card if you have the latest drivers you should be able to create an application profile for dolphin.exe in nvidia control panel and enable FXAA in the application profile.
(08-26-2012, 01:20 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]I see it now. It's not a bloom offset but it is an issue with the scaler. I'm sorry but the only way to fix something like that is to turn off efb scaled copy, which will reduce image quality. You could use FXAA to get rid of the aliasing though. Since you have a GTX 670 graphics card if you have the latest drivers you should be able to create an application profile for dolphin.exe in nvidia control panel and enable FXAA in the application profile.

Way ahead of youTongue I have a habit of creating a profile for most relevant software. For Dolphin FXAA is on and override 32x CSAA. Setting AA from the emulator seemed to interfere with these settings and actually decreased the AA effect, so dolphin AA is set to none.

Anyway shame I can't fix this but knowing it's beyond my control gives me a piece of mindRolleyes Thanks for the help!