Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: New to Emulation and can my PC run dolphin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

karatesama

Hello!

So I finally decided to get a new PC, after playing Tatsunoko vs Capcom in HD on my cousins PC but I dont really know anything about the dolphin emulator, so I was wondering if these specs would be sufficient to run games on the highest settings in 1080p or 720p. I would like to be able to play Tatsunoko vs Capcom Ultimate All Stars, Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Zelda Skyward Sword, Smash Bros. Brawl, Smash Bros. Melee, Luigis Mansion, Mario Kart Wii and Mario kart Double Dash, Super Mario Sunshine, New Super Mario Bros. No More Heroes 1-2, Kirby Return to dreamland, Resident Evil 4, Resident Evil Remake, Resident Evil Zero, Xenoblade Chronicles, and Metroid Prime 3. So will i be able to run these games on the best settings possible? Also will I need to overclock the CPU, or GPU? I've never overclocked, and it scares me. Would overclocking lower the life expectancy of the CPU or GPU? Or can I play all of these games without having to overclock?

Intel® Core™ i7 3930K Processor (6x 3.20GHz/12MB L3 Cache)
16 GB ram [4 GB X4] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - G.Skill Ripjaws X
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 - 4GB
ASRock X79 Extreme9 -- 5x PCI-E x16, 8x SATA 6Gb/s, 4x USB 3.0

Overclock the cpu and you'll do fine.

What air cooler do you have?

karatesama

(08-26-2012, 06:40 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]Overclock the cpu and you'll do fine.

What air cooler do you have?

I dont have one yet But I'm about to buy all these parts online, from newegg, or microcenter, and possibly amazon. Which aircooler would u recommend for me to buy?
Well, what about the Thermalright HR-02 Macho Rev.A? Or a air cooler from Noctua?
dont need to overclock?
that cpu is going to 3.9 ghz or so with its turbo program so its not even needed to do so IMO

dolphin isnt THAT demanding you know?

karatesama

(08-26-2012, 06:57 AM)DefenderX Wrote: [ -> ]Well, what about the Thermalright HR-02 Macho Rev.A? Or a air cooler from Noctua?

Could u give me a link where i can buy it? So pretty much my specs would be good to run those games on highest settings right? And is there really any danger to overclocking? Or can I just run dolphin without having to overclock?
Quote:that cpu is going to 3.9 ghz or so with its turbo program so its not even needed to do so IMO

3930K turbo boost is capped at 3.8GHz. And it is unlikely to reach that while running dolphin. I think 3.6 GHz is about what I would expect it to reach while running dolphin.

If he wants fullspeed he's going to need more than that.

Quote:dolphin isnt THAT demanding you know?

It is if you're playing demanding games with LLE, and he listed several.

Quote: And is there really any danger to overclocking?

If you do something stupid then yes. As long as you keep your voltages and temperatures at a safe level you'll be fine.

Quote: Or can I just run dolphin without having to overclock?

You can but some of those games that you listed will not run at fullspeed with LLE audio (which is required for proper audio emulation on certain games) without overclocking.
Buy the CPU + Z77 mobo at microcenter, that way you can get $50 off of the mobo.

EDIT: I don't know if the same applies for x79 mobos, but it's worth checking out.