Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Same Hardware, better performance on Windows. Is that right?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi guys. I was considering to have a total move from windows to linux but only if I don't "downgrade" my performance over 3D apps like Dolphin or some Windows games (PlayOnLinux, Wine, etc..)

So can I get same performance on linux or will it be worse?

Thanks for the answers.
Definite downgrade for most software, however you could dual boot with Windows. That way, if you're OK with the slowdowns, you could just wipe the windows partition later.
Well, Windows is usually the best OS for gaming.

example: Dolphin on OS X is slower than on Windows.
If you're serious about making a full switch, then it may be an idea to wait until valve have finished porting at least some of their games to linux. Running games under WINE will give a big performance hit.
Thanks for the answers.. I think I will stay at Windows if my performance is worse on other OS..

But I have another question.. In the 3D config in Dolphin I tried D3D9 and D3D11 and it looks better over D3D9 than the 11, also I get more FPS, is that normal?

Thanks
Yes, D3D9 is the fastest backend for most games.
Yep, usually, Direct3D9 is faster and has less problems than Direct3D11.
(08-25-2012, 09:41 PM)Van_Wilder Wrote: [ -> ]I get more FPS, is that normal?

That is. DX9 is usually faster than DX11

(08-25-2012, 09:45 PM)LordVador Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-25-2012, 09:41 PM)Van_Wilder Wrote: [ -> ]I get more FPS, is that normal?

That is. DX9 is usually faster than DX11

Yeah 'usually' there are very few that run better on Dx11 than Dx9
Wow, people are really milking this opportunity to rise their post count. Once is enough, people, and I got there first.
Speaking of post count, I'm now rank 18. Sorry to OP for hijacking this thread.
Pages: 1 2