Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Games continue to crash 5 minutes in
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I have searched the forums for a good 30 - 45 minutes without finding a solution to my problem, hope someone can help.
Basicly I have tried both pokemon colossuem and luigi's mansion on the dolphin emulator. They work for about 5-10 minutes then I recieve a driver failed then recovered message, game continues to run but blacked out screen.

specs
Operating System: Windows 7 / 32-bit
Processor/CPU: Intel® Core™ i5 CPU 661 @ 3.33GHz Quad-Core
Video Card/GPU: Nvidia GeForce GT 240
Memory/RAM: 4.00 GB RAM
Dolphin Revision Currently Using: Dolphin-3.0-win32
Yeah, try to reinstall the nVidia driver.

btw: Is your GPU over clocked? This can cause a driver error (I already experienced this)
(08-19-2012, 05:33 AM)DefenderX Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, try to reinstall the nVidia driver.

btw: Is your GPU over clocked? This can cause a driver error (I already experienced this)

I'll try to reinstall my driver now and as far as I'm aware it isn't overclocked, is there a way to check this?
GPU-Z. Please check your temps also with that.
When you have unstable overclocks, the GPU will shut itself down and recover itself. Essentially what you're experiencing.
(08-19-2012, 05:42 AM)Garteal Wrote: [ -> ]GPU-Z. Please check your temps also with that.
When you have unstable overclocks, the GPU will shut itself down and recover itself. Essentially what you're experiencing.

I'll check that now "http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/SysInfo/GPU-Z/" is this the download? really hope my computer hasnt been running overclocked, cuts the life of it in half doesnt it?
Yes, that's the link.

And no, it doesn't damage the lifespan if you're overclocking properly. Sometimes brands such as EVGA, MSI, etc overclock certain cards themselves. It's quite possible you might've purchased one of these.
If you can, post a screenshot of the GPU-Z window opened so we can see what GPU you have and if it's possibly factory overclocked.
(08-19-2012, 05:49 AM)Garteal Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, that's the link.

And no, it doesn't damage the lifespan if you're overclocking properly. Sometimes brands such as EVGA, MSI, etc overclock certain cards themselves. It's quite possible you might've purchased one of these.
If you can, post a screenshot of the GPU-Z window opened so we can see what GPU you have and if it's possibly factory overclocked.

[attachment=8129]
Think thats the screenshot you want, also just installed new driver, so I'll give the emulator another try and let you's know. In the meantime is there any other solution you can think of? I've tried a lot of things but I'm really stuck on what to do now, thanks
You're bottlenecking the card putting it in a PCI Express 1.0 slot.
That literally halves its potential.
You should definitely upgrade your motherboard, or put it in the PCI Express 2.0 slot if you have one on your current motherboard.
As it stands now, your GPU only has a memory bandwidth of 25.3GB/s, while it can have 54.4GB/s.

Your GPU doesn't seem to be overclocked either.
So if updating your drivers didn't help, click on the sensors tab in GPU-Z and play a game in Dolphin until you blackscreen again.
Then tell us what temperatures you've reached.
(08-19-2012, 06:44 AM)Garteal Wrote: [ -> ]You're bottlenecking the card putting it in a PCI Express 1.0 slot.
That literally halves its potential.
You should definitely upgrade your motherboard, or put it in the PCI Express 2.0 slot if you have one on your current motherboard.
As it stands now, your GPU only has a memory bandwidth of 25.3GB/s, while it can have 54.4GB/s.

Your GPU doesn't seem to be overclocked either.
So if updating your drivers didn't help, click on the sensors tab in GPU-Z and play a game in Dolphin until you blackscreen again.
Then tell us what temperatures you've reached.

I'll give that a go now and let you know the temperature it reaches.
Also I have no knowledge of inside a pc (I.e what slot to move my graphics card to) if i opened it up. Persuming I do have to get a new motherboard, how much are they roughly (dollars/sterling) and does it wipe my computer if i did?
Just ran the game untill it crashed, took screenshot of the sensors page straight after. here it is
[attachment=8130]
Unfortunately that picture doesn't help.
You'll have to run Dolphin in windowed mode and keep monitoring the temps.

Quote:Also I have no knowledge of inside a pc (I.e what slot to move my graphics card to) if i opened it up.
Well, you'll have to tell us what motherboard you have first.
A easy way to check what components you have in your computer is to download Speccy and check your components with that.

Quote:Persuming I do have to get a new motherboard, how much are they roughly (dollars/sterling) and does it wipe my computer if i did?
The prices vary, you can pay as little as $70 to $300. But it all depends on what you want/need.
No, your computer will not get wiped. All your data is stored on your harddrive, not on your motherboard.