Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Which part should I upgrade of my laptop?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

FlakeyBrute

Hi!

I've a Toshiba Setellite L750D-16k notebook, and I want more fps in my Dolphin emulated Wii games, because in Kirby I get only 35fps, and in Mario Kart, I get only 22....Confused

My notebook spec: AMD A6-3400M APU - HD6520G
4GB DDR3 RAM
HD7400M (in Hybrid CrossFireX with the APU)
Win7 x64
I love that kind of configuration, because I can upgrade anything (for example the video card too by picking another APU)HeartBig Grin

SO my question is: which part of my notebook is the most weak? (Sorry for my bad EnglishUndecided).
Should another APU (ex: an A8-3520M with HD6620G) solve my fps problem?Huh
Yep, get the best APU which is compatible with your MoBo. AMD CPUs/APUs are not really power machines for Dolphin Wink
Both A6-3400m and A8-3520m are too weak for Dolphin
Anyway, best solution, if you have the money:

Buy/build a desktop with Z77 MoBo, Core i5-3570k, decent AMD/nVIDIA GPU, 8GB RAM and a good CPU cooler. This will be the ultimate Dolphin machine Wink
For best results, buy an i5-2500k (or better) desktop or a really awesome and expensive laptop. If you insist on buying an APU, try this --> http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/showthread.php?tid=22150

You can get good results in some games, but for the most part, games are going to run too slow.

Use this too --> http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/showthread.php?tid=23618

FlakeyBrute

(08-18-2012, 04:54 AM)Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]For best results, buy an i5-2500k (or better) desktop or a really awesome and expensive laptop. If you insist on buying an APU, try this --> http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/showthread.php?tid=22150

You can get good results in some games, but for the most part, games are going to run too slow.

Use this too --> http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/showthread.php?tid=23618

Thanks! That is what I was looking for!

But I have a desktop PC too with Phenom II X4 955,... and so on, but a Wii laptop sounds greater, and I don't have the money to buy another notebook...
The right $800 desktop PC with run anything which can run at fullspeed. A $2000 laptop will run most things at full speed if you're lucky enough to get one which will OC enough, although the battery life would be useless. A dolphin laptop sounds better, but isn't the most sensible investment unless you game exclusively on trains.
(08-18-2012, 06:46 AM)AnyOldName3 Wrote: [ -> ]The right $800 desktop PC with run anything which can run at fullspeed. A $2000 laptop will run most things at full speed if you're lucky enough to get one which will OC enough, although the battery life would be useless. A dolphin laptop sounds better, but isn't the most sensible investment unless you game exclusively on trains.

Laptops aren't always about running off of battery power. Sometimes you just want to grab your PC and go somewhere else with it. It could be to the next room, to a friends house or to work. As far as I know, all of those locations have power outlets. Anyway, we've already had this discussion, it'd be nice if you didn't spout the same useless crap here that you did there, especially when you already know that no one is aiming to play games solely on trains. Anyway, we digress.
(08-18-2012, 07:36 AM)Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]Laptops aren't always about running off of battery power. Sometimes you just want to grab your PC and go somewhere else with it. It could be to the next room, to a friends house or to work. As far as I know, all of those locations have power outlets. Anyway, we've already had this discussion, it'd be nice if you didn't spout the same useless crap here that you did there, especially when you already know that no one is aiming to play games solely on trains. Anyway, we digress.

Thank you! Some people tend to think when we game we must be at one place all the time. I understand desktops are better performance-wise, but it's useless to some of us that are not always home (or wherever one may have it set up) and would like to play elsewhere to buy some time.
That's why I've got a Macbook/Notebook Tongue

(Well, and another reason: I don't have enough space for a desktop in my room)
Pages: 1 2