Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: is many times better than the wii dolphin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I think 12 is better, but I'm sure some people will see the 144 pixels in a Wii pixel, and say that 12 is wrong. This would be a good thing to get a knowledgeable nVidia guy to tell us.
Quote:If my maths is correct (which it probably isn't because I wasn't paying attention to what I'd already done to my numbers) if there was a GPU with enough power to run the emulator with maximum settings, dolphin would draw 144 times the pixels of a real wii. The calculation to get this was: ( 4xIR * square route 9xAA ) squared. I think this means that the image quality is potentially 12 or 144 times as good, except on a normal monitor, lots of extra AA isn't visible.

You got the right result (I don't know how) but I wouldn't have done it that way.

f(x, y) = (x^2) * y
Where x is the IR scale and y is the number of SSAA samples.

I've done this so many times on this forum I've lost count (which is why I'm surprised that neither of you did it).

The internal resolution is 144x native. The external resolution (after downscaling) is 16x. I don't know where the two of you got 12 from.

Quote:This would be a good thing to get a knowledgeable nVidia guy to tell us.

Knowledgeable nvidia guy? What does that even mean?
(08-17-2012, 09:46 AM)AnyOldName3 Wrote: [ -> ]If my maths is correct (which it probably isn't because I wasn't paying attention to what I'd already done to my numbers) if there was a GPU with enough power to run the emulator with maximum settings, dolphin would draw 144 times the pixels of a real wii. The calculation to get this was: ( 4xIR * square route 9xAA ) squared. I think this means that the image quality is potentially 12 or 144 times as good, except on a normal monitor, lots of extra AA isn't visible.

I understand your brother if bone dolphin is 144 times better graphics than the Wii thanks and thanks to all
Fwiw, 9xAA doesn't give you any new pixels, it gives you nine times as many samples. This is important, because image detail doesn't magically increase with sample count like it would with raw pixel count. Instead, all the samples (for 9xSSAA that's 9 samples) around a pixel get mashed together to a final pixel color. The "quality" of the image in general is determined by the used sampling filter.

Similar logic applies to IR if it's higher than the window resolution. The only difference is basically that we use a worse downscaling filter in this case.

Either way, you're not going to reach a quality increase factor (if such a thing even exists) of 144. Most displays don't even support resolutions as large as 2560x2112, so quality of 4xIR might actually decrease when compared to 3xIR due to sampling artifacts.
When I said 12 I was only counting in 1 direction :3
I can summarise this thread really easily, and prevent any discussions changing to arguments: Dolphin = Pretty. Wii = Ugly.
(08-18-2012, 01:46 AM)AnyOldName3 Wrote: [ -> ]I can summarise this thread really easily, and prevent any discussions changing to arguments: Dolphin = Pretty. Wii = Ugly.

Or :
Wii = less efficient than it had been expected
Dolphin = much more efficient than everything we could've imagined Big Grin
I don't think you know what the word efficient means.

Quote:Fwiw, 9xAA doesn't give you any new pixels, it gives you nine times as many samples.

But the samples are pixels. Even if they don't end up in the final image it definitely does "give you more pixels" (for the internal resolution anyways).
(08-18-2012, 05:05 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think you know what the word efficient means.

Quote:Fwiw, 9xAA doesn't give you any new pixels, it gives you nine times as many samples.

But the samples are pixels. Even if they don't end up in the final image it definitely does "give you more pixels" (for the internal resolution anyways).

Well I was looking for a word to translate "performant" (in french) and the word "efficient" came to me. I'll let you to rectify me here Undecided
I always forget that you're French. I should know, though, because you normally seem too good at English to be American, which is where I assume you're from when I don't remember you're French.
Pages: 1 2 3