Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Buying a new GPU
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So with the help of you guys I've decided that my GPU is a load of crap and I am looking to buying a new one. The problem is I don't know what my motherboard is and if it would be compatible with the GPU's I'm looking to purchase.

If anyone can tell me how I can figure out what my motherboard is, it would be a great help.

The GPU's I'm looking to buy: GeForce GTX 550 Ti or GeForce GTX 660 Ti

I am undecided on which one I will be purchasing. I am leaning more toward the GeForce GTX 660 Ti but am unsure on whether my motherboard can handle it.

Thanks ahead of time!
^^^^^^
Both GPUs will be able to handle 4x IR + some AA (though at those resolutions, AA probably isn't necessary). The GTX 550 Ti does an amazing job for Dolphin as far as I'm concerned. No problems here with it. That said, the 550 Ti is a mid-range GPU while the 660 Ti is a high-end GPU (according to Wikipedia, at least), so if you're looking to do PC gaming on top of Dolphin, you might want to go with the 660 Ti. For Dolphin only, the 550 Ti will more than get the job done (so long as your settings aren't ridiculous) for less than half the price of the 660 Ti. I'm not a GPU expert, so there might be better, cheaper options out there as well.
Well that's the first time I see that motherboard.
Never heard of Pegatron before.

Even though the GTX660Ti is a PCI Express 3 card, it's backwards compatible and fits in a PCI Express 2.0 slot.
Since your motherboard appears to have a PCI Express 2.0 slot, you should be good to go.
That is, if this is your motherboard.
Alright this sounds good, it looks like I'll be purchasing the GTX 660 Ti because I plan on doing a bit of PC gaming while enjoying dolphin. Thanks for the help guys really appreciate it.
(08-17-2012, 03:53 AM)Figurate Wrote: [ -> ]Alright this sounds good, it looks like I'll be purchasing the GTX 660 Ti because I plan on doing a bit of PC gaming while enjoying dolphin. Thanks for the help guys really appreciate it.

Good choice Wink