Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Finding my bottleneck...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What is my bottleneck? I'm leaning towards it being my GPU.

Operating System: Windows 7 64-Bit

Processor/CPU: Intel Core i5-2400

Video Card/GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 520

Memory/RAM: 8.00 GB

Dolphin Revision Currently Using: Dolphin-win-x64-v3.0-735
Check out NV's Minimum specs - video card thread. The GT 520 is only good enough for 1x IR, and little if any AA. If you're playing at 1x with no AA, you'll only be limited by your CPU since the GPU requirements (which are quite low at 1x IR) are already satisfied. Once you go over 1x IR, the GPU bottlenecks your system. Getting a better GPU, say one that's able to handle 4x IR, would once again make your CPU the limiting component to your PC, as long as your graphical settings (chiefly IR and AA) aren't set to something ridiculous.
(08-15-2012, 05:04 PM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]Check out NV's Minimum specs - video card thread. The GT 520 is only good enough for 1x IR, and little if any AA. If you're playing at 1x with no AA, you'll only be limited by your CPU since the GPU requirements (which are quite low at 1x IR) are already satisfied. Once you go over 1x IR, the GPU bottlenecks your system. Getting a better GPU, say one that's able to handle 4x IR, would once again make your CPU the limiting component to your PC, as long as your graphical settings (chiefly IR and AA) aren't set to something ridiculous.

Thanks a lot for the tips, I'll be sure to check out that thread. If I find any improvements in quality and performance I'll be sure to PM you and let you know if I was satisfied. Thanks again!
I'll save you the time/trouble. The only advice you're going to get from that thread about improving quality or performance is "buy a better graphics card".
Yeah I'll most likely be purchasing a new one.
Maybe the Geforce GTX 550 Ti or Radeon HD 68XX? This GPU is enough for 4x IR Wink
(08-16-2012, 06:04 PM)DefenderX Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe the Geforce GTX 550 Ti or Radeon HD 68XX? This GPU is enough for 4x IR Wink

I've decided to go with the GTX 660 Ti, thanks for the suggestion though.