Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Ability to slow down Audio
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
When playing 30fps games at 60fps it also speeds up the sound which makes it inaccurate, is it possible for you guys to make the option to run the audio slower while gaming at twice the fps it would greatly improve the gameplay. Maybe sound at 45fps and gameplay at 60fps, I realize that sound at 30fps and gameplay at 60fps would not sync good but to have the option would be nice.

Hopefully it's possible to do this.

Smile
That sounds like a great way to introduce psuedo audio-video desyncs (no pun intended). All of the game's actions would still happen twice as fast @ 60 FPS, but the sounds, although playing normally to our ears, would still be behind the actual video. It might not matter for SFX or background music, but any cutscenes would demonstrate how the audio and video don't match.

Dunno why so many people are obsessed with getting 60FPS, e.g. 2x fullspeed for games designed for 30 FPS. More often than not, things go too fast, but whatever. Wink
I see, thanks for the response!

Cool

I had the same problem. Try setting Dolphin process priority to "Realtime" in task manager. I'm not sure if it'd work for you. My problem was when game drops fps because there are tons going on, music doesn't lag at all. That's a plus. But it's not when you're watching cinematics that cause fps lag so audio loses sync with whatever's happening.

Be warned though, my audio is now in sync at all times but when it does lag, audio becomes stuttery.
Changing the process priority won't affect audio in any way.

Quote:My problem was when game drops fps because there are tons going on, music doesn't lag at all.

If you're using HLE audio then the audio will slow down if the game slows down.

Some games allow the fps to drop without the vps dropping but in most cases if you see your fps going down your vps and gamespeed should be going down as well.

Unless perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you mean by lag which is very likely considering that lag is used to describe low response times, which you clearly aren't trying to do.

Quote:Be warned though, my audio is now in sync at all times but when it does lag, audio becomes stuttery.

Sounds like you're using LLE audio. Although there a few games that behave this way with HLE.

Quote:But it's not when you're watching cinematics that cause fps lag so audio loses sync with whatever's happening.

What?
(08-19-2012, 03:00 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]Changing the process priority won't affect audio in any way.

It actually does in my case. It MIGHT be because I'm using an old build.

If priority is normal, and I run around village(MH3), fps drops but audio/music is unaffected. When I set it to realtime, when fps drops, audio also slows down and stutters.

I'm not sure why, but there you are.
How old? Your profile says you're using a recent build.

Quote:If priority is normal, and I run around village(MH3), fps drops but audio/music is unaffected.

Check the VPS and the gamespeed. It is impossible for the VPS/gamespeed to drop without the audio being affected in some way.
I've just tried experimenting with both builds(r5474 and 3.0 735). On both, audio/music is unaffected whatsoever regardless of my fps.

Strange though, when I try setting Dolphin to realtime on both builds, audio begins to stutter, but i'm not too sure anymore if the music actually slows down. It might be an auditory illusion because of the stutter. I need a metronome....
Stuttering and slowing down are not the same thing as I'm sure you know.

It should slow down if the gamespeed is going down. As I said before, check the gamespeed.
Okay, I have FPS 24, VPS ~47, Speed ~80%. No audio slowdowns. This is r5474.

Changing priority to realtime...

No change on FPS, VPS and Speed, but audio DEFINITELY slowed down.

Now on 3.0 735, FPS 22, VPS ~44, Speed ~73%. No audio slowdowns as well.

Changing priority to realtime...

Yup. No change on VPS and speed, but audio also slowed down with stutter.

Wait... maybe stutter isn't the right term. Just imagine a crappy audio player trying to slow down a music track without changing its pitch. Let's just use the term "clicky" sound when the music slows down.

QUICKEDIT: I was using HLE on both. When I tried LLE recompiler, NOW everything's in sync because audio is slow then gamespeed is slow, regardless whether it's set to normal or realtime process. At least I know now why everyone would want LLE. Some effects "sound" right. With HLE, sound of waterfalls is a barely audible "hiss", if you can even call it a hiss.
Pages: 1 2 3