Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Extremely High End PC But Not Constant FPS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum, and I've really been having some trouble with my dolphin emu. I have a pretty high end gaming setup that runs everything I throw at it in terms of modern gaming (BF 3, Crysis) but for some reason with Dolphin I can't get a constant frame rate of 30fps. I know that the full frame rate on NTSC is 30 frames. I've tried just about all of the settings and about every combination of them one can make with Dolphin 3.0. I know for a fact it can't be my system. CPU: AMD Athlon II x3 3.1ghz
GPU: XFX Radeon HD 6870 Black Edition in Crossfire
Ram: 16gb

I can get a frame rate of 25-30 but it never stays at 30 and anything under 30 is choppy and somewhat unplayable. The only game I want to run on it is Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess. I have seen videos and stuff and everything about the game being played at max 1080p and full graphic enhancement settings on system WAY lower end then mine. I really want some help with this... Please, could someone tell me what I am doing wrong, and walk me through this so I can play?
Quote:Extremely High End PC But Not Constant FPS
Oh,really
*Click on your profile*
Quote:AMD Athlon II
You're kidding right ?
Your CPU is too weak. AMD CPUs don't perform well on Dolphin Wink You could try to overlock your CPU, that could help a little bit.
(08-09-2012, 06:59 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Extremely High End PC But Not Constant FPS
Oh,really
*Click on your profile*
Quote:AMD Athlon II
You're kidding right ?

**Soon to be AMD Bulldozer FX-8150. No need to be rude about it.
(08-09-2012, 07:00 PM)DefenderX Wrote: [ -> ]Your CPU is too weak. AMD CPUs don't perform well on Dolphin Wink You could try to overlock your CPU, that could help a little bit.

So then how does it run on like core 2 duo's clocked at less than 3 ghz?

Are my gpu's a problem?
Quote:Soon to be AMD Bulldozer FX-8150. No need to be rude about it
Sorry but faildozer is slower than Phenom II clock for clock
http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/showthread.php?tid=24716
(08-09-2012, 07:07 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]

What's the best AMD cpu for dolphin? I'm not going anywhere near intel.

(08-09-2012, 07:07 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]

Okay, okay. You said Intel was the way to go? And the i5 3570k is top of the line?
Llano A8 3870k is the best AMD CPU for dolphin atm . If you overclock it 3.5GHz , it should run most games well (except those demanding games that only i5 3570k @ 4.2GHz could run full speed)
Athlon < Phenom II < Llano = Intel Core 2 Quad
Or you could wait for AMD Piledriver
Edit : I forgot to mention some Phenom II could be overclocked to 4.0GHz (Phenom II 956 , 975 ...) and LLano is just 5% faster than Phenom II
(08-09-2012, 07:19 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Llano A8 3870k is the best AMD CPU for dolphin atm . If you overclock it 3.5GHz , it should run most games well (except those demanding games that only i5 3570k @ 4.2GHz could run full speed)
Athlon < Phenom II < Llano = Intel Core 2 Quad
Or you could wait for AMD Piledriver

Actually, the 3570k is pretty cheap on an NCIX sale. I think I'll get it! Tongue Thanks a lot for the help! (and it was high end in it's day thank you very much)
I wonder how well an old core 2 extreme qx6800 would do...
Quote:Actually, the 3570k is pretty cheap on an NCIX sale. I think I'll get it! Tongue Thanks a lot for the help! (and it was high end in it's day thank you very much)
You're welcome . Good choice btw , you won't regret it
I agree. A very good choice Wink

But don't forget to buy a good Z77 MoBo and a decent CPU cooler hence you can overclock your CPU Smile
Pages: 1 2 3