Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: OC advice for Dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am currently looking at getting this (links are just to descriptions):

Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
CPU: i5 3570K (no link needed)
Mobo: ASRock Extreme4

I'm looking to put this in a media server (with Dolphin running on it on an HDTV of course), so it should be able to run all games after the CPU is OC'ed (don't worry about the GPU and RAM I have that figured out). I'll also play some PC games on it (StarCraft II mostly) and maybe eventually hook up a BluRay drive, but the CPU is overkill for both of those things.

How far do I NEED to push the CPU's clock speed for Dolphin (as well as to be future proof), and how far CAN I push it while still keeping it safe for the processor and system?

If something is completely overkill (like the cooler/mobo, I'm set on the CPU) tell me. I don't really care how loud the fans are as long as my speakers can be louder. Big Grin
Quote:How far do I NEED to push the CPU's clock speed for Dolphin (as well as to be future proof)
4.2(safe)->4.5GHz(max)->4.7GHz(warning)
Also what thermal compound will you use ?
I'll probably go with what you recommended to me before to fix my MacBook Pro: Arctic MX-4, but I've yet to decide on the thermal compound.

If I can get 4.2-4.3 GHz with it while keeping my temps below 85C most of the time then that is OK. SMG 1/2 may kick it over at times, and so may Skyward Sword, but that is the general cap. NEVER higher than 90C. I probably should have given this in the first post sorry.
If you install the cooling correctly , the temps will never be higher than 70C (4.2-4.3GHz)
And 4.2/4.3 should be good for SMG 1/2 and Skyward Sword right? I know on HLE it would be fairly easy, but I remember reading elsewhere in these forums you would need 4.4 GHz to run with LLE. I'm sorry for asking so many questions I just want to know I can get what I want out of the setup before I invest a bunch of money into it.
Yeah , it will be good enough for SMG (LLE) and overkill for Skyward Sword
Quote:I remember reading elsewhere in these forums you would need 4.4 GHz to run with LLE
Sandy Bridge i5 2500k / i7 2600k @ 4.4GHz . Ivy Bridge i5 3570k / i7 3770k is faster than Sandy Bridge clock for clock , i5 3570k /i7 3770k @ 4.2GHz will beat i5 2500k / i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz
Ah, I see where my mistake was then. Wrong processor series/processor in general. 4.2 then sounds great, thanks!

I'll make sure I work with my more hardware-savvy friends on the assembly (I am much more of a software guy -- still learning a lot of hardware ideas). I understand all of the super-low level stuff like transistors and gates and flip-flops, and then all the high level stuff like general computer design and purpose of parts; stuff between is way more complicated. I don't build systems very often so this has been a big help thank you!