Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Why does dolphin lag on my computer?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Biade

Hi, I downloaded Dolphin today and attemped to run Super Mario Sunshine. I set all the graphics to the lowest I could find (Enable dual core checked, Enable idle skipping checked, framelimit auto, Jit recompiler, backend direct3d9, I have tried all internal resolutions and none of them make any difference, no anti aliasing, 1x antiscoperic filtering, open MP on, and everything else blank) my computer specs are-

Motherboard - Asus P5LP-LE
Processor - Intel Pentium D Dual Core. 3.00Ghz Socket 775 Overclocked to 3.50Ghz
Memory - Crucial Ballistix 2 * 2Gb DDR2 800Mhz 4-4-4-12
PSU - CIT 750Watts
Hard Drive - Western Digital SATA 320GB (WD3200AVVS)
Graphics - XFX Geforce 8800 GTX

As you can see I have a good computer and I can not figure out what is wrong with Dolphin. If you have any suggestions can you please help.

Quote:Why does dolphin lag on my computer?
Intel Pentium D is much slower than Core 2 duo , Pentium Dual Core and even Athlon CPU

Biade

(08-02-2012, 02:53 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Why does dolphin lag on my computer?
Intel Pentium D is much slower than Core 2 duo , Pentium Dual Core and even Athlon CPU
Is that the reason I'm not able to run dolphin?
If changing graphical settings (IR and AA, etc) does nothing to change game speed, that means your GPU isn't the bottleneck. Yours should be good at least for 3X IR and 4X IR should be doable as well. That means your bottleneck is your CPU, which probably isn't as good as you think it is. Microarchitecture matters when it comes to CPU performance, not just clock speed. You should upgrade to a more modern CPU.

Biade

(08-02-2012, 02:57 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]If changing graphical settings (IR and AA, etc) does nothing to change game speed, that means your GPU isn't the bottleneck. Yours should be good at least for 3X IR and 4X IR should be doable as well. That means your bottleneck is your CPU, which probably isn't as good as you think it is. Microarchitecture matters when it comes to CPU performance, not just clock speed. You should upgrade to a more modern CPU.
Ok thank you, I may look into buying a better CPU.

The "Pentium D" is just two "Pentium 4" chips without Hyperthreading that are slapped together and called a dual-core
Pentium 4 is hopeless
Geforce 8800 GTX should be enough for 4x IR(2560x2112) ,no AA , 16x AF
Btw , you must buy a new motherboard if you want to upgrade CPU . Afaik , Asus P5LP-LE only support Pentium 4 and Pentium D CPU
if your thinking of amd cpu you may want to wait for their new cpu's in 2013?
if you cant wait amd fx8150 is alright...best choice for amd anyway,and its only 200bucks,
if you like intel better and which is better get 3570k, for 30 bucks more.its better only for games, amd is better for multitasking, unless you get intels hyperthreading which is 100bucks extra, and not worth it.if your ona budget of around 200bucks that is.
Quote:if you cant wait amd fx8150 is alright...best choice for amd
Don't suggest Faildozer please ! Phenom II is much better
http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/showthread.php?tid=24555
(08-02-2012, 12:49 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:if you cant wait amd fx8150 is alright...best choice for amd
Don't suggest Faildozer please ! Phenom II is much better
http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/showthread.php?tid=24555

lol i guess he could get my old phenom Tongue