Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: What's my bottle neck?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey Guys,

Recently, I have been considering upgrading my GPU to something a bit more beefy, and I was wondering what the bottle neck on my computer is, the CPU or the GPU. I get descent FPS but I would like to emulate some more intensive game. Specs:

AMD Athlon II X4 635 @ 2.9 GHZ
AMD Radeon HD 5570 - 1GB VRAM
8GB DDR3 RAM

Thanks,
Shawn
Your bottleneck is your CPU as long as you're running games at 1.5x-2x internal resolution and not higher with that video card.
Ok, Thanks for clearing that up, good thing I didn't go out and buy a new GPU, only to find that games don't run faster Tongue

Thanks,
Shawn
(07-24-2012, 02:46 PM)Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]Your bottleneck is your CPU as long as you're running games at 1.5x-2x internal resolution and not higher with that video card.

SS, you're wrong Tongue The HD 5570 with GDDR5 VRAM is able to handle 1080p (3x IR) Wink
(07-24-2012, 05:12 PM)DefenderX Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-24-2012, 02:46 PM)Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]Your bottleneck is your CPU as long as you're running games at 1.5x-2x internal resolution and not higher with that video card.

SS, you're wrong Tongue The HD 5570 with GDDR5 VRAM is able to handle 1080p (3x IR) Wink

Why would you assume he has that model? Even so, we're trying to keep him under his max IR so that the card doesn't bottleneck him. Then he can see what his true FPS is and if he wants to get a new processor or not.

Quote:SS, you're wrong Tongue The HD 5570 with GDDR5 VRAM is able to handle 1080p (3x IR)

That assumption by me was made based on comparisons with benchmark data from other cards. Since we didn't have anyone with a 5570 contribute to the GPU benchmark project I had no choice but to make that educated guess. It is therefore not 100% reliable and should be taken with a grain of salt. I tried my best with the resources at my disposal but you should not treat everything listed in that thread as an indisputable fact.

I have to go with SS on this one.
Actually my card has GDDR3 VRAM. Sorry, should have given more information in the first post..