Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Windwaker speeds up, then slows down.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

zeldafan

So as the title says I've had this problem repeatedly, I had huge trouble with low fps for a long time until I was able to improve it, I thought all was well as I stated the game up, but when I played for about 1 minute, the game just hit a wall. Instantly from 25-35 fps, which is fine, to 10-16 fps, and the speed drops from about 90-100% to about 50%.

I don't understand whats going on, I don't do anything that directly causes the slowdown, I am just walking around Outset Island doing nothing and it just slows down completely.

Some other details are that that the game runs perfectly indoors, and that large draw distance effects speed (looking straight out to the ocean).

Also, the framerate isn't choppy, but rather just slow and sluggish, I don't know what this means but ya.

If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it.
What are your Dolphin settings? What's the exact model of your CPU?

It could be your temps. Use RealTemp or CoreTemp and tell us what you're getting when you hit these slowdowns.
Maybe your CPU is overheating? Download CoreTemp/RealTemp and check your temps while playing with Dolphin.

Edit: a few seconds too slow Dodgy

zeldafan

(07-24-2012, 03:17 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]What are your Dolphin settings? What's the exact model of your CPU?

It could be your temps. Use RealTemp or CoreTemp and tell us what you're getting when you hit these slowdowns.

General Configuration:

Enable dual core

Enable Idle Skipping

Framelimit [Audio]

Limit by fps

JIT Recompiler

Graphics:

Backend [Direct 3D11]

Adapter: Intel[R] HD Graphics Family

Fullscreen resolution: 1366x 768

Aspect Ratio: Auto

V-sync and Use Fullscreen enabled

Enhancements:

Internal Resolution: 1x Native(640x528)

Anti-aliasing: none

Antistropic filtering: 1x

Scaled EFB copy enabled
.Intel Core i3-2310M (2.1GHz, 3MB L3 cache)

.NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M, Up to 2741MB Turbo Cache

4 GB DDR3 Memory 750 GB HDD
As graphics backend, try Direct3D9, it's a little bit faster.

btw: Did you check your temps?

zeldafan

I have just checked the temperature and it does get very high a few seconds before the initial fps wall is hit. my computer also starts violently venting.

It might also be worth mentioning that I am using a laptop, Acer Aspire Timeline
And what temps do you get? "Very high" etc. says nothing.

zeldafan

Ok I've done another test and it seems the temp stays the same all throughout. It was at about 70- 76C on core#0 and on core #1 it was consistently at 66 degrees C.

The temp didn't change when the fps wall was hit.