Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Default settings for mid-range PC?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Can someone please let me know if the following settings make sense for the PC in my sig (i5-3550; 1GB GF GTX 560 Ti; 8GB 1600 mhz RAM; 64-bit Win 7)?

I'm looking for good settings to start any game with, and then I can adjust down or up as needed:

Backend: Direct3D9
Fullscreen resolution: 1920*1080
Internal Resolution: 3x Native

Is the 3x Native reasonable? Are there any other things I should change from default? Thanks for any tips.
The GTX 560 Ti should be able to handle 4x IR which provides a even better quality than 3x IR.
You can safely set Anisotropic Filtering to 16x. Most anything nowadays should be able to handle that in Dolphin. At those resolutions, you might not notice aliasing too much, but you can bump up your AA gradually and see if any slowdowns occur.
Thanks! I switched both settings and the game I'm playing (New Super Mario Bros Wii) looks much better. An odd flickering issue I was having went away.

For the 4X IR - is that a good setting even for a monitor running at 1920*1080? For some reason, I figured 3X native was better because the width matched my native resolution width.

Also, is there any default EFB-related setting I should use? Many of the games seem to require "EFB Copy to RAM" settings. I can't find an explanation of what that setting does or why it's needed sometimes - would love a link or an explanation.
EFB to RAM is more accurate but can slowdown emulation whereas EFB to Texture is faster but not so accurate
Besides, EFB Copies to RAM can fix some graphical issues (as it's more accurate, like LordVador said ^^)
So on this system, would it make sense to keep EFB to RAM enabled all the time (because maybe the performance hit won't be an issue)? I'll experiment, but just curious.
Nope, this will kill performance in some heavy games.

Only use EFB Copies to RAM when it's really needed.