Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Quick video card question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've got a possible opportunity to switch out my crossfire'd (for all the good that does me with Dolphin Tongue) HD 7750's for a GTX 480. I'm just wondering how well I can expect that card to run on some of the more demanding games (SMG, any Zelda or Metroid, any other demanding games you can think of) assuming optimal settings and a capable CPU. How high would I be able to crank this thing?
(07-18-2012, 01:01 PM)Capitrium Wrote: [ -> ]I've got a possible opportunity to switch out my crossfire'd (for all the good that does me with Dolphin Tongue) HD 7750's for a GTX 480. I'm just wondering how well I can expect that card to run on some of the more demanding games (SMG, any Zelda or Metroid, any other demanding games you can think of) assuming optimal settings and a capable CPU. How high would I be able to crank this thing?

4x native, Some MSAA on top of it.
(Assuming you will be using DX11.)
The GTX 480 is much better, but not much of an upgrade for Dolphin.
(07-18-2012, 01:09 PM)Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]The GTX 480 is much better, but not much of an upgrade for Dolphin.
Really? The GTX 480 outperforms a 560 Ti in pretty much everything except for power consumption afaik, and I've seen the 560 Ti mentioned a few times in the forums as being very good with Dolphin. Is there anything in particular that you're aware of (i.e. drivers, architecture changes, code optimizations) that cause Dolphin to favour the 500 series over the 400 despite the 480's superior hardware?

(07-18-2012, 01:40 PM)Capitrium Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-18-2012, 01:09 PM)Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]The GTX 480 is much better, but not much of an upgrade for Dolphin.
Really? The GTX 480 outperforms a 560 Ti in pretty much everything except for power consumption afaik, and I've seen the 560 Ti mentioned a few times in the forums as being very good with Dolphin. Is there anything in particular that you're aware of (i.e. drivers, architecture changes, code optimizations) that cause Dolphin to favour the 500 series over the 400 despite the 480's superior hardware?

Those are good cards, but when you already have a video card that can handle 4x internal resolution as the HD7750 can, it wouldn't be much of an upgrade as far as Dolphin goes. There is nothing wrong with it if you didn't have a decent card, but you already do. There is only so much the GPU can do for you, Dolphin depends on your CPU mostly.
Fair enough, I see your point. I'd even agree with you, if it weren't for the fact that I can get 4x IR on very few games (currently 1) because the drivers are just plain awful; there's literally too many issues to list. Even if the Nvidia drivers are just as bad (which I doubt considering the card's 2 years old), my thinking is that the GTX 480 should have enough raw power to compensate. Kick in my i5 3570k @ 4.7GHz and I should be ready for pretty much anything.
If it's free then sure, go for it. Also please never use hwcompare.com again to compare video cards. It's probably the worst method of comparing GPUs that I have ever seen. It doesn't even list the most important specs or any real benchmark results.