Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Bad Specs or Lack of Knowledge?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

lessthandan

PC Specs:

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 910 Processor 2.6GHz
RAM: 8GB DDR3
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560ti
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Monitor: using my Samsung 32" LED through HDMI, can support 1920x1080, but I'm running Windows at 1600x900 currently because the display looks much better at this resolution.
Dolphin Version: 3.0-716-dirty

Not sure if it's the ROMs I'm finding are just bad or maybe just the processor is weighing everything down.

I do have the two DSP files from my Wii so I am able to use LLE. I have a feeling that if my specs aren't causing the issues, it must be settings that I need to tweak within Dolphin.

Main Questions:

Do I need something better than a stock sound card for LLE to work smoothly?
Is there a better optimization build that I should be using that will cater towards my specifications?
Is there a better version of Dolphin I should be running?
What specifications are weighing me down the most, if anything?

Help. Thanks. =)

--Dan
No , Your CPU is too weak for LLE
i5 2500k @ 4.4GHz or i5 3570k @ 4.2GHz will run most games full speed with LLE
People are so confused, I wonder why they won't read some threads before posting. Everyone just jumps right to posting as if their problem is the first time anyone anywhere has ever ran into a problem. I guess that's human nature, unfortunately.

lessthandan

I did a bit of research, but couldn't find exact answers, which prompted me to ask.

My next question is also processor related. I've read that the i5-3570k is the way to go. However, I can get an i7-3930k (3.2GHz) new in box through my business for $164. I would need a new mobo, but thats not really an issue right now.

Fry's has a deal for an i5-3570k and a Z77 mobo for around 270 or so IIRC. Any thoughts on whether or not I should hop on that instead of picking up the i7 for dirty cheap and worrying about the mobo later?
If you do video converting/decoding etc. -> Get the i7-3970k
If you just want to play PC games and play with Dolphin -> Get the i5-3570k.
The review I've looked at for the fry's deal implied it was very much a budget board with limited potential for overclocking, however, if you're lucky enough to get a decent processor from the middle of the wafer, then you will have no problem reaching 4.4GHz, more than enough for dolphin. Basically, it may be a bit of a gamble to get that board.